FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inport XDCAM footage into FCP7

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james russell
Inport XDCAM footage into FCP7
on Jun 23, 2014 at 12:06:04 pm

Hi There
well. it had to happen eventually. after years of casually popping on here to find the answers to my cock ups/errors/mistakes/questions. i have finally cocked something up so massively even this site has yet to encounter the problem lol.

So. i was shooting on an XDCAM and dragged and dropped the footage files from the SD card to my hard drive (i can feel you shaking your head!) FCP7 is unable to see the footage files through L&T and the browser only shows the mp4 files. i can inport through the browser but the mp4 files suck..

is there a way of restructuring the files i have dragged and ropped so that L&T can find them? i have tried al sorts of things, none of which are successful in anything other than sending me a little bit more mental...

If you have a solution i would greatly appreciate it. please feel free to mock my stupidity while slowly shaking your head at the screen

desperado
James Russell

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Inport XDCAM footage into FCP7
on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:07:07 am
Last Edited By Don Greening on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:11:57 am

No one here will berate you for your methods of recording/transferring your media. SDHC card recording is inherently risky compared to SxS Pro media but a lot of people use these cards without issue, as long as they're good quality SD cards.

A bit more information is required from you in order to suggest a course of action.

When you say XDCAM do you mean XDCAM HD or XDCAM EX format?

When you say "dragged and dropped the footage files from the SD card to my hard drive" did you copy only the MP4 files or did you import the entire BPAV folder? This is assuming that your files are XDCAM EX.

If you are indeed referring to copying the BPAV folder (which is the what you should be doing) then retry importing the unaltered folder using Sony's clip browser, making sure that error checking is enabled. If you only have orphaned MP4 XDCAM EX files there is a way to create a new BPAV folder that contains your clips.

Another reason that FCP7's Log and Transfer tool may not be able to find the files is if you've renamed the BPAV folder to something other than BPAV. None of Sony's many media transfer applications will be able to "see" video files inside any folder that's not called BPAV.

Could you also be a little clearer about what you mean by "the MP4 files suck." Are they corrupted in some way? Can you view them on your Machine? BTW, are you using MAC or Windows?

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

james russell
on Jun 24, 2014 at 8:31:15 am

Hi Don

Thank you for taking the time to respond and also for not giving me a good berating lol

Basically i opened up my SD card folder. selected the clips. then dragged and dropped them onto my hard drive. one of the video file folders has a BRAV folder within it for some reason and is visible for FCP 7 L&T. unfortunately the rest of the video files only have the MP4 file visible. the other files are there, but non selectable by FCP 7.

I think what i need to do i create new BRAV folders for the rest of my video files. alas i dont have a Scooby Doo how to do this. is it possible? you mention in your post there is a way?

Again - thanks for the helping hand

Regards
James

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 24, 2014 at 8:30:40 pm
Last Edited By Don Greening on Jun 24, 2014 at 8:31:02 pm

In order to create a new BPAV folder for your MP4 clips you'll need one of two available Sony apps. The first one is a legacy app called Clip Browser and the other and current one is called Content Browser. You can find Clip Browser here:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Copy and paste the above link into your browser. Towards the bottom of the page look for Legacy XDCAM Applications. Click on the link and download the following file:

XDZ-P1 XDCAM EX Clip Browser Version 2.6

Using Sony's Clip Browser software you can take an orphaned or 'stand alone' .mp4 file from an XDCAM EX and create a new BPAV folder for that file,

Courtesy of a previous post by Ian Cook who works for Sony:

"Point the (Clip Browser) top Explorer window to a location ('Desktop,' for example), select File-->Import, browse to the .mp4 and try to import it. If this works it will create a new BPAV folder containing the rebuilt clip in the specified location."

If you decide to read the entire thread from which this quote was taken you can find it here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/874389#874394

The newest Content Browser program doesn't seem to be free anymore but it is available and works much the same way for importing orphaned files as Clip Browser does. You can find this one at the same link above and it's the first one on the list.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

james russell
on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:32:30 pm

Don

I would like to marry you and have your babies. thank you so much for taking the time to help out a baffoon lol.

seriously though. i really appreciate it. im basically trying to turn my hobby into my career. i lost my job a few months ago and thought i would listen to my gandads advice and try and make a living from what i love to do. im cocking up pretty regular, but luckily there are people like you around who can bail me out lol..

kindest regards
James

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:22:57 am

Glad I was able to be of some assistance.

You should have seen the look I got from my wife when I told her that earlier today I had a marriage proposal from some guy on Creative COW.

She said "Does that happen a lot?"

"No, this'll be the first one and hopefully it's the last."

Cheers,

-Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

james russell
on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:44:21 am

hahahahaha that made me chuckle Don

Thanks again for the helping hand - it worked a treat.

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]