COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamal AlSarraj
mics for both channels in EX 1
on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:12:44 am

Respected Experts,
Good day to you....

I had a situation yesterday..

i am shooting a session where two gentle men are talking,previously I used to connect there two mics to a mixer and then feed the mixer output to channel one in my EX-1 and it worked perfectly.

the location had changed and I have no mixer any more..so I connected one mic to channel 1, the other mic to ch -2

but the voice quality was very bad in the following scenario:
when i used the setting input:CH-1/CH-2 , the mice on CH-1 voice was bad,and if i use the input to :CH1 the voice of mic 2 is bad

so in order to survive yesterday I kept switching the input channel each time the speaker switches

sorry for the long message

but in my previous camera PD 170 i used to have both inputs linked and it was fine, am I missing something here? this is bothering me and I appreciate any advice

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: mics for both channels in EX 1
on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:26:42 pm

Jamal, whether I can qualify as one of your 'respected experts' is doubtful but as an EX 1 user I can try and help you.

I always connect two mics to separate inputs as they seem to operate independently. In my menu setting I have it set to CH 1 & 2 and I get individual audio on each channel. It occurs to me that you may have the switches set incorrectly that are situated beneath the XLR inputs. Forgive me if you know this but unless the mic has it's own power supply the switch has to be set to 'mic + 48V. If the mic has it's own supply then set the switch to 'mic' which is the middle setting. Then there is 'line' on the left side for an amp input. However I don't believe that this is your problem, it's just an idea.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: mics for both channels in EX 1
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:30:58 pm

Check your setting on your input. If you have one set to AUTO and the other to Manual, then maybe the Manual is turned down and the input is low.

If both channels are set equally and you have the same two mic's, then they should sound the same. Even with different mic's, there shouldn't be a big difference unless your settings are different.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>