FORUMS: list search recent posts

UDF Workflow from Sony PMW-300K1 to Premier

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry O'Brien
UDF Workflow from Sony PMW-300K1 to Premier
on Apr 13, 2014 at 3:59:00 pm

I just replaced my reliable old EX-1 with a Sony PMW-300K1. I just completed a test recording in the UDF HD 422 settings at 50/1080i/59.94i.

When I went to transfer the SXS-1 card to my hard drive, I was surprised to discover six folders and three .xml files instead of the old, familiar BPAV folder.

I'm just starting to edit in Premier CS moving from FCP7, so I'd greatly appreciate any advice on a simple workflow for this new file format.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
Re: UDF Workflow from Sony PMW-300K1 to Premier
on Apr 14, 2014 at 12:22:25 am

OK, before anyone steps up to help me on UDF, which I will be fascinated to discover, I want to add a bit more.

I have a shoot tomorrow and I have to edit tomorrow night, so I thought, "maybe I should try the FAT setting, instead." The setting FAT wasn't part of the EX-1 lexicon. Anyway, the test recording I made in FAT resulted in the familiar BPAV folder, which suggested that I might be good to go.

I just did a test. I opened a Premier project, but Premier would not accept the BPAV folder. To be more exact, it took it in but it didn't like it. I found that odd, because it would accept BPAV folders from my EX-1.

Even more surprising, was that FCP 7 accepted the BPAV files from the PMW-300K1 via XDCAM File Transfer. They played back fine.

I guess I have to understand this first, before I move on to UDF. Does Premier require a plug-in of some sort?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: UDF Workflow from Sony PMW-300K1 to Premier
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:10:35 pm

UDF mode is nothing new and basically means that the card appears to Premier with the same data structure as an XDCAM Optical Disc. You do not need plugins in any recent version of Premiere. Make sure you have the SxS UDF Driver installed. Access the files in the Media Browser by navigating to the card or card archive, just as you would with any supported file based format. If you need to export back to XDCAM, select the 'MXF Op1A' option and an XDCAM 422/50 Mb codec. Let me know if you run into specific issues or questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]