FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM disc larger after transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Odell
XDCAM disc larger after transfer
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:00:44 pm
Last Edited By George Odell on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:02:23 pm

I have transferred around ten 50gb XDCAM discs to an external drive connected to my laptop. I did not use the XDCAM utility rather I used a program called Vice Versa. I use VV all the time to move large video files because I trust it to check that the files match.

Anyway, the files on the external drive show high 70's to 80's GB for the discs. Checking the folders of one disc I see around 34gb under the Clip folder and I also see about the 35gb under the PROAV folder.

They play fine in Clip Browser. What's going on?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM disc larger after transfer
on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:08:34 pm

The ProAV folder is usually hidden and contains all the raw, non-interleaved video and audio data. When you copy the whole disc including ProAV you are effectively copying the data twice. You can disable the ProAV folder display in the XDCAM Drive Utility. If you are manually copying using your OS or a 3rd party utility you can leave out the ProAV folder. The only exception would be if you are doing a mixed res workflow in Avid (Proxy video with high res audio), in which case you should preserve ProAV in your copies/archives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]