FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which camera would you get for future productions and why? PMW300 or the PXW-Z100 that shoots 4K?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Which camera would you get for future productions and why? PMW300 or the PXW-Z100 that shoots 4K?
on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:03:25 pm

Looking at getting some camera upgrades here in the near future. Been looking at several. I've been eyeing the pmw300, as well as the pxw-z100.

Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Digital Chop House
Salt Lake City, Utah

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
Re: Which camera would you get for future productions and why? PMW300 or the PXW-Z100 that shoots 4K?
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:12:10 pm

Hello Tom: On deciding which camera to buy, I have usually have tried to stay at the leading edge not the bleeding edge. Also, my decision depends on how I am going to distribute my project. I think 4k will come, but for the life of me, I don't believe that for my projects my clients I will need 4K for awhile. I am so surprised that even DVD distribution is still alive and well. It pains me to see the pristine video I have shot in 1920x1080 go down to 720x480 for DVD distribution. If you think the 4k will be the method of distribution for your projects then them by all means go ahead with the 4K camera. Blu Ray has not made the market penetration that I thought it would by this time. I can remember going to HDV with two new cameras and then almost immediately going to HD with my camera arsenal. We are shooting with The EX-3, Ex1-R and a PMW 320. All three of these cameras match close enough that in post I can match them even better.

My plans are to wait until Sony and others see enough market for 4k to start making a lot more choices in cameras and camera types.

Good luck

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Which camera would you get for future productions and why? PMW300 or the PXW-Z100 that shoots 4K?
on Mar 20, 2014 at 11:30:03 am

I agree with Ronnie. HD, properly shot on the Sony cameras he mentions, will be perfectly acceptable for a good few years yet. 4K and above is really only necessary for the cinema. Most cinemas are now equipped to project 4K and many feature productions are now being shot digitally. As far as productions destined to be viewed on electronic screens (TV's and 'display' kit), I really can't imagine that HD is not god enough.

Having said that, the current range of Sony cameras mentioned by Ronnie are great, although my personal choice would be the PMW 300 if you're not going expensive with the 'F's'. It should be constantly stated that it's the quality of the production that matters, not necessarily the quality of the kit used.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:24:22 pm

I bet adoption of Blu-ray™ for smaller productions would have taken off like wildfire if the consortium licensing BD technology hadn't made it so prohibitive for content creators to actually produce and duplicate the discs. They got greedy, and it's kneecapped the format to a degree.

You can go to Best Buy's website and find BD players for under fifty dollars. It's impossible to buy a TV, even a cheap one, that doesn't have HDMI nowadays. People are accustomed to a wide screen, high definition picture. So it's not the consumer that's clinging to DVD as much as it's a PITA for producers to generate all but the most basic BD disc. Expensive programming software, mandatory per-disc surcharges...seriously.

Sorry, that's been bottled up for a long, long time. :) Have a good weekend, everybody!

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:40:12 pm

Black Magic's has a new camera coming out in June for 6 grand that looks interesting. 4K with a built in 10" monitor.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 16, 2014 at 1:17:58 pm

There is certainly a lot of industry hype about 4K, but you need to do what makes sense for your business. We are in a similar boat - we produce everything in 1080, but 90% of customers view on a DVD on a computer, on an iPad, or via web streaming at SD resolution because in the corporate world, high bandwidth for viewing videos is not the norm.

If you are making films or documentaries or anything for broadcast, maybe 4K is the right move. But for corporate, local cable and a lot of work for hire, 1080 HD is plenty of resolution. I'd suggest evaluating cameras based upon the type of shooting you do - action, low light, interviews, etc.

A camera with built-in audio and a good lens with easy to find controls is key. Chip size always used to be a budget decision - you can get plenty of single CMOS cameras for under $2000 which might be good in some situations, but not others.

I have wondered about the merits of the various 2013-4 Sony models which all seem similar in many ways. I think you would need to try these cameras out before buying.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on May 20, 2014 at 3:11:25 am
Last Edited By Daniel McClintock on May 20, 2014 at 3:32:31 am

I'd like to throw out my two cents on several things brought up here.

Although Black Magic says they'll have their camera out by June, they don't mention if it's this year or next year. They are notorious for missing their stated deadlines.

Also, it is believed they will use the same chip that they've used in their other cameras. If that's the case, it is horrible with low light. I had a chance to edit and color grade their 4K ProRes footage and was dismayed at the amount of banding in the dark areas of the picture. I had never seen anything that bad before.

I intend to buy the Z100 in a couple of months for several reasons. I do a lot of green screen work so having 4:2:2 color space would be incredible. Plus, scaling the 4K image to HD creates a 4:4:4 color space. Perfect for flawless compositing.

Scaling is another reason I plan to go 4K. I can shoot an interview in 4K and scale it to various shots such wide, medium and CUs in HD without having to stop recording and reframe. That's a big timesaver in my work.

And finally, a long time ago, a client came to me and said she wanted to shoot her ad in HD. I told her (at the time) that SD was the norm, and it would be less expensive for her. She said a couple of things that stood out for me. She was a nature photographer hobbyist, and she dabbled in medium format. She said her pictures, no matter the size, always looked better because the original negative was larger. And she said SD television was going away, and she wanted to use her ad when our station switched over to HD. Sure enough, three years later we switched, and she was the first advertiser whose ad we played in HD. Those stories have stayed with me for a long time.

--------------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]