FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise in EX1 image

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Noise in EX1 image
on Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41:11 am

Can understand why I have got noticeable noise after recording some green screen footage. Gain was a t zero the talent was well lit and at f8

I would understand if I was pushing the gain unto 6 or 9 but it was at zero. There aren't any other factors that could of caused this?

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Noise in EX1 image
on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:46:46 am

There's always noise... ex1 is good but not the best. We need an example.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:28:26 am

Have you tried gain at -3, I always have that setting unless I'm really in trouble with low light. Not that it would make all that difference but it would help. Shouldn't have noise with that camera, I don't agree with JW that "there's always noise", I've shot with level 9 gain and still no noise.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:54:50 am

I have shot with the camera many times without a problem. Thats why I find it strange to have noise on this occasion. No I haven't tried at -3 because I have never needed to I always (conditions dependant) stay on 0 gain. Haven't got the footage on this system but will get some across.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on Feb 7, 2014 at 12:56:19 pm

To be complete.. there's always noise in the dark areas. The ex1 is a good cam but it doesn't have the cleanest picture compared to the bigger ones (of course). That's what I meant. I need an example to see if this noise is 'strange' or just ex1 noise. I read in your post that it's 'strange' compared to the other times you;ve used it. Can you post a link. I never use -3db. If needed i crush or darken in post production.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:17:56 pm
Last Edited By Don Greening on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:46:58 pm

Marc,

You mention that you now have picture noise that wasn't there previously. Unless you remember changing a setting to cause this then perhaps it's something than can be solved by resetting the camera back to its factory defaults.

Remember that these cameras are basically lenses with computers screwed on to the backs of them and as such are prone to the occasional file corruption such as settings etc. Go to the OTHERS menu and choose RESET ALL from the menu and see if that solves it.

Case in point: one of my cameras developed an undesirable hum in channel 2 even with nothing attached to that channel. Since I had not changed any settings prior to this I reset the camera and lo and behold........

Another way of resetting the camera to make sure it really DOES get reset is to pull both the main and memory batteries for a few minutes.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]