FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Sharpness settings??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
EX1 Sharpness settings??
on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46:25 am

I recently did a green screen shoot with an EX1 I know the codec isn't the best for that kind of thing but we had to go with it. When looking at the footage there was a black kind of line down the side of the talent where the back light was. I have since found that this is the camera sharpening the image automatically. How can you stop the camera from doing this or can't you? Do you have to setup a custom profile to tackle this because there isn't any menu settings to turn off sharpening in the camera.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
Re: EX1 Sharpness settings??
on Jan 27, 2014 at 1:29:27 pm

I have shot many green screens with the Ex-1, ex-1R, Ex-3 and PMW 320 which are basically the same cameras with no problems at all.

Most of the time when I see a bad green screen shot is when the subject and the green screen ware not lighted correctly.

Also, there are somne editing platforms that do not have optimum keyers.

My Editing platform has been for years Grass Valley Edius (curently 7.21). You did not state your editing software.

Bottom line is that there may be more than one problem with your green screen shots.

Be sure to review your lighting techinques before blaming the camera.

Hope this helps

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 27, 2014 at 1:36:34 pm

I am NOT blaming anything I was given advice from others on Creative Cow regarding the problem. So before you comment anymore see what others have said regarding my initial question a few weeks ago

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/899287

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jan 27, 2014 at 1:50:08 pm

Sorry if I hit a nerve with my response to your request for advice on your problems with green screen shots. In the future if I see you asking for advice I will surely not offer my help.

It is just my experience that many times when I am having a problem with something I go back to the basics and find that it was pilot error on my part. If I have all the basics in order then I proceed to each facet of the problem at hand.

Perhaps I am not as proficient or experienced as you and others on the forum. I have been at this for a long time.

I was just trying to help....

Hope you find the answer to you problem.

Take care

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:59:41 pm

You didn't hit a nerve at all. I was just told by someone on the forum that the problem was the sharpening that the camera internally adds in situations like that. I also had feedback saying that the green screen was correctly lit hence I thought I would put a post to try and sort out the sharpening problem.

So you would say that the camera doesn't put on an internal sharpening??

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:09:04 pm

I forgot to ask what Picture profile you were using. To keep my cameras as close as possible I have them all set to Doug Jensen's Profile Doug 1. If you do not have his tutorial on the Ex-1r it would be a good investment.

I hope by now you have it narrowed down on what is causing your problem with green screen.

Good Luck

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:47:08 pm

I looked and whats more confusing was that the Picture Profile setting was set to off so no additional detail/Sharpening must of been used.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:34:45 pm

With no reference to the above thread, I too pull a perfect key from my EX1 with the default settings.

Answering your specific question: You can't adjust the sharpness in the default mode. It's only available when you choose a Picture Profile. There is a button below the power switch to access them (the print is probably worn off like mine), you then choose a "profile" with the thumbwheel. Choose one, select "Set. " Lots of options for each profile.

Steve

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:28:19 pm

Not wishing to barge in on something that I don't quite understand, but I'm amazed that people use this wonderful camera without taking an opportunity to view the splendid and detailed workshop on the camera by Doug Jensen in his DVD by Vortex Media. He is a master at explanation and covers almost everything that a prospective user might need to know, including a detailed exposition on Picture Profiles.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:41:30 pm

After investigating further I have looked at the camera and the Picture Profile was actually set to OFF so how did the camera apply that black line detail on one edge of the talent I have mentioned before?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:44:15 pm

Can you post a screen grab of the raw footage.

Steve

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:47:00 pm

At the minute no I'm on something else but the screen grab to the edge problem I had can be seen here.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/899287

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:58:59 pm

That does have to do with the lighting, but it appears to me that it is in the way it is keyed/software settings. I'm not sure what AFX calls it, but in Premier I use the Ultrakey, aggressive, and tweak from there. I'm interested to see if the black edge is there in your raw, that's what I understood your issue to be. For your key, you may need to duplicate the layer and use a mask to set a separate key for each edge of the talent.

Steve

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:05:40 pm

I have since sorted the problem by yes using three separate layers where you use a base layer, core layer then a separate layer for sorting out the edge problem. Also Dave LaRonde mentioned using a technique where you use a matte of the key that also helped.

The line does indeed appear where the back light is shining on the talent hence the initial responses from kind people saying it was the detail setting in the camera. The only reason I'm chasing it up is because I've got another green screen shoot on the way soon and as much as I got the problem sorted its way more efficient to get these things ironed out in camera before the post process takes place. I will go back to the original footage later today and send a grab of the footage.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]