FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have I corrupted my EX1 clips by downloading them the wrong way?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter John
Have I corrupted my EX1 clips by downloading them the wrong way?
on Jan 19, 2014 at 8:47:17 pm

I am using a Sandisk Extreme class 10 SDHC card in my EX1 via a Sonnet card adapter and have run into some problems reviewing clips that I imported into Premier Pro CS4 by removing the card from the camcorder, loading it into an external card reader on my Macbook Pro then copying the BPAV folder containing the clips to my hard drive via the Sony Content Browser program.

After doing this quite a few clips break up into patches of noisy interference when I import and play them back in Adobe Premiere CS4 and also do the same after I try exporting the clip from CS4 - BUT when I play back the same clips in the Sony Content Browser program and/or VLC media player they all look fine and there is no sign of the noise?

So am not sure if the problem is only with the playback or if (gasp!) the clips are damaged that would be quite a disaster.

Another problem is when I reloaded the same SDHC card in the EX1 I immediately got a message on the LCD that "the media needs to be restored" that kept on coming back after I ejected and reinserted the card. However the camcorder did not give me the option box to do this on the LCD. It only gave me the message. I did not get this message when I tried to load a fresh SDHC card in the same slot that worked fine.

Looking into this I figure I was wrong to try and get the clips out of the camera this way rather than via a USB cable and by trying to do so may have corrupted the file structure that would also explain the reason for the error message asking me to restore the media, right?

What I am not sure about is how to verify if the clips I have copied to my hard disk are ok or not, why they break up when played back in some programs (eg CS4) but not in others (Content Browser, VLC) and what if anything I can do to restore the card?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Have I corrupted my EX1 clips by downloading them the wrong way?
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:39:51 pm

It's more than likely that your clips are ok, especially if they play back normally in Browser and from the camera. It is possible to damage the clips in the process of handling the data but this is not likely if you used Browser to do the transfer (especially if the verification function was enabled). Check them in another editor if you can. You may also want to reach out to Adobe or else re-install/update Premiere. If the clips play back ok in Browser from where they are currently stored it's unlikely that the issue is with the drive the clips reside on or the system as a whole. If you'd like us to take a look at them feel free to contact our US support office at 800 883 6817 / bis.product.support@am.sony.com .

Return to posts index

Peter John
on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:30:17 pm

Thanks Ian,

this is very good to know so your reply is much appreciated.

Today I got my first decent opportunity to review the clips again and also all else that I have shot since then (as have had no option but to continue and hope for the best). Fortunately when I play the clips back in Content Browser the problem only seems to manifest itself with the first batch of clips that lead me to post this forum question. All the other footage filmed since then seems to be ok (though have not tried to open it in Premiere Pro yet). Quite a relief!

However when played back in Content Browser some of the initial batch of damaged clips continue to show what appears to be sudden breaks and black banding that last a few frames then continues normally. Fortunately this is only in a few clips in the same batch, not all of them, so am hopeful the problem may not be as serious as I had initially thought.

Maybe a defect SD card (bought new from a reputable NY dealer) or the archaic version of Adobe Premier I am using and most likely a combination of both of these issues? Needless to say I have stopped using that particular card for now.

So the lesson I have learned from this is quite a basic one (of course Big Ears!) to check all new media more carefully before using it for critical work and when something goes wrong, as it always tends to do, just be thankful the problem is not much worse.

Just now running around in rural east africa where internet is slow and not so reliable, so will wait and follow up on this when I get home again.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:51:50 pm

You may have to convert the files to a premier friendly format. It sounds like the files are ok if you are viewing them on the browser software. It's probably a premier compatibility problem

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>