Sony PXW Z100 4K bluish artifact

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernand Fernandez
Sony PXW Z100 4K bluish artifact
on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:01:45 pm
Last Edited By Fernand Fernandez on Jan 15, 2014 at 9:05:57 pm

Hello.
I was doing some tests with footage from Sony PXW Z100.
When analyzing the image, a bluish artifact is noticed at the edges of the objects. It is mostly noticeable when there's a big luminance difference between the object and the surrounding area.

Could you tell me what is the name for that artifact and how to get rid of it?

I've attached a zoomed image as an example of the artifact.

Thanks for your attention.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Sony PXW Z100 4K bluish artifact
on Jan 18, 2014 at 8:27:38 am

It's chromatic aberation. It's a known 'thing'.

Return to posts index

Fernand Fernandez
on Jan 18, 2014 at 3:44:35 pm

Thanks! Just thought chromatic aberration was a lens problem. This one seemed sort of a sensor issue.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:03:12 am

Chromatic aboration IS a lens issue where the primary colours separate out, creating a rainbow-like halo effect in areas of differing contrast. However, your issue might not be entirely CA. If your camera is using a high compression recording format then it creates compression artifacts in regions of high/low areas separated by fine lines. The only way to test this theory is to use a 3rd party outboard recorder that records with a less compressed codec such as as Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Fernand Fernandez
on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:14:35 am

Thanks for your reply, Don:
I need to verify the bit-rate settings. I'm recording 4:2:2, 10 bit. The image shows no macro-blocking, so I guess it's not recording at a low bit-rate. But so far, I'm disappointed with the results. The last time I got such lines surrounding the objects was many years ago, when shooting Digital-8 on a handycam.

Return to posts index

Emi Pricop
on May 31, 2014 at 1:28:56 pm
Last Edited By Emi Pricop on May 31, 2014 at 2:32:11 pm

Here is my problem with Z100:
https://vimeo.com/91408129
Any idea how to fix it?

(4K variant)

Return to posts index

Fernand Fernandez
on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:33:17 pm

Honestly, I think there is no way to fix it. 10bit 4:2:2 is promising but the results are visually worse than 8bit 4:2:0
Unfortunately this camera is a major let down from Sony. It just does not match the usual quality of Sony products.

Return to posts index

Emi Pricop
on Jun 4, 2014 at 6:20:26 am

xdcam-user.com think it may be detail correction (alisterchapman: Too much detail correction perhaps?) http://www.xdcam-user.com/2013/12/a-tale-of-two-cameras-the-pmw-300-and-pxw...
Hope it can be fixed in future firmware upgrade.
Yesterday I was working with Magic Bullet Look on a Z100 recording. I applied a custom curve and after that tried an Auto Shoulder. Highlights started to blink heavily from time to time. I removed Auto Shoulder and things go back to normal (very small blinking in very high contrast scenes).
I find a very representative scene with a fence against a white sky. Fence pieces become thin-thick-thin-thick from frame to frame if the camera is moving small steps (played frame by frame in Sony Vegas Pro).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]