FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDROOT - XDCAM import

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walsh
XDROOT - XDCAM import
on Dec 12, 2013 at 10:31:27 pm

Sorry for cross-posting from Final Cut forum, but am completely stuck and frustrated.

I am trying to convert XDCAM /XDROOT structure files on a mac. Need to supply Pro Res of XDCam sources files to FCP 7 editors.

- FCP 7 Log and Transfer doesn't see any clips (even with plugin).
- Tried XDCAM Transfer 2.13 - it doesn't see any clips.
- Bought and tried Content Browser - it sees the files, but can't export them for final cut without throwing an error. It will play the files and copy the files.
- Adobe Media Encoder sees the files but crashes on encode (to any format).

Next I'm going to go back to the source drive and copy to a different mac and a windows machine to try the same exercises above again.

Are there any recommended troubleshooting tools for XDcam from third parties? The file structure seems ok since content browser can see the clips. The encoder crashes feel like they are codec related.

Does anyone have a go-to solution for importing/converting XDcam files from this XDRoot structure? Am okay if it is not free. Am ok if the answer is that I have to use Sony Vegas. Am okay as long as there is solution.

Chris Walsh

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
Re: XDROOT - XDCAM import
on Dec 12, 2013 at 11:11:54 pm

The footage was shot with the F55 and is XAVC codec.

So I think I'm looking for a specialized conversion utility.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 12, 2013 at 11:31:49 pm

You can use the free version of Davinci Resolve to convert to ProRes

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Dec 15, 2013 at 8:28:12 pm

Thanks Ian. Both PPro CC and Adobe Media Encoder handled the files very nicely.

I am stunned that Sony does not provide a tool to convert/export this footage (other than a link to $360 plugin for their $20 "content browser). This is supposed to be their new codec (or partnered codec).

At least just say, "Our newest camera can shoot in a codec that can only be used by the most current version of editing software."

So I'm going to say it. As of December 2013, if you shoot XAVC, you risk spending a lot of time and some money being able to use the footage. FCPX and Adobe CC can handle it, perhaps the most recent Avid update, but that's it. So legacy FC and prior CS users should shoot something else, anything else. Or make sure the camera is set to MPEG2.

Sony just moved to the last place in my camera spec list. GoPro footage is easier to deal with.
Now I know what the F in F-55 stands for. They did leave out the Y though.

Chris Walsh

Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]