FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM transfer altering framerate of 59.94i footage?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Kemmler
XDCAM transfer altering framerate of 59.94i footage?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:44:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of an odd issue that I hope I don't already know the answer to...

Our camera department shot some 59.94i 1920x1080 footage on the Sony X-3 the other day, and now that I've imported it every app is reading it as 29.97 (quicktime, vlc, after effects, final cut, you name it...) prior to being conformed for slow-mo, but in the preview window in XDCAM transfer, it shows the clips as being 59.94i.

I imported the card directly with XDCAM transfer, and admittedly I paid little attention while doing it. I just selected all the clips and hit import like I usually do. I didn't notice the difference in frame rate until I went to try and conform to 29.97. This is all compounded by the fact that I'm running OS X 10.8 and cinema tools no longer works.

I've tried conforming with mpeg streamclip, reinterpreting the footage with after effects... all that really happens is

a. mpeg streamclip duplicates frames when changing framerate to 59.94, or
b. after effects halves the length of the clip when I reinterpret to 59.94

am I boned? The only thing I can think of is that there's an issue with the interlacing, but no idea really. Is it possible that XDCAM transfer removed frames during import? I don't see any settings or preferences that would appear to affect that directly, but admittedly, had I dug deep enough to understand that previously I might not be in this mess.

Meanwhile, I'll be artificially slowing the footage in AE with frame blending so that I can keep my job until (and if) this gets resolved... any help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM transfer altering framerate of 59.94i footage?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:24:34 pm

there is no change in the frame rate; it's just how 30 frame interlaced is being described. 1080 59.94i is still 29.97 fps but in HD we define it as '60i.' XDCAM Transfer can't change your frame rate. whatever you are getting is what was shot.

Return to posts index

William Kemmler
Re: XDCAM transfer altering framerate of 59.94i footage?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:41:41 pm

That's good to hear... any tips on how to adjust my workflow to conform this to 29.97i slow mo, given that I lack the ability to use cinema tools?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]