FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 SD Card Adapter

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Granzier
EX1 SD Card Adapter
on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:53:08 am

Hi All

I am getting my hands on a EX1 and though of getting the SONY SD card adapter that allows you to use Class 10 cards in the cam... Anyone had any issues with these little suckers ? Also as far as FCP 7 and FCPX , does the camera files log and transfer fairly easy , or do you need third party software to do this ?

Thnks in advance for your feedback

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: EX1 SD Card Adapter
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:58:55 am

I've used Hoodman adapters with Sandisk Extreme class 10, 16 & 32gig cards for years without any issues. A 32g card gives you almost 2 hours of record time, 54 min on a 16gig.

Steve

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:29:41 pm

no special software needed. use the normal import routine for FCP 7 (XDCAM Transfer, Content Browser or old Log and Transfer plug-in for EX/FAT only)

SxS is a much safer way to fly and SD cards are supported only as 'emergency' or backup media. This has nothing to do with speed, necessarily. The cards generally work fine. But because we can't control the quality of the flash memory or the controller chips or buffer management we really prefer you use SxS. If you have a problem with SxS there is a lot we can do to support you. If you have an issue with an SD card and we can't mount the card or see the file system you are pretty much on your own.

Also, the old Log and Transfer plugin is long discontinued, not really updated/supported, and only supports XDCAM EX formats. If possible please use XDCAM Transfer or Content Browser.

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:51:36 pm

Hi Ian

Thanx for that response.... So if I understand it right FCP 7 and FCPX does support the EX1 in Log and Transfer or do you need a special plug in for it to work

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 19, 2013 at 4:30:57 pm

You always need a plugin but there are different ones. On its own Log and Transfer will not see EX files.

For FCP 7:

To import using Log and Transfer = Sony Log and Transfer add-on (EX HD/SD only)

To import using XDCAM Transfer = XDCAM Transfer application/plugin (All XDCAM formats)

To import using Content Browser = Content Browser application/plugin (All XDCAM formats)

For FCP X:

Use Sony PDZK-LT2/Media Import plugin, enables import via the Media Import routine (All EX/XDCAM formats except for files residing on optical disc media, in which case you need to use Content Browser)

Return to posts index

mark villa
on Jan 7, 2014 at 10:22:26 am

I agree, there is no doubt that the SxS are safer but we have to face the reality and finding a laptop with the reader is not so easy nowadays. My thinkpad x200 lost the screen , I have a pci card for expresscard in my desktop but I have to plug the card from the back of the PC and reboot every time . Now finding a new laptop with a reader was a challenge: therefore I have to embrace the SD alternative, buy more cards and do some kind of rotation but they are a pleasure to use. No problem (EX1) so far so good. I use 2 Sony SD class 10 32GB

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:34:01 pm

I have been using a number of different brands of SDHC cards in 6 cameras and have never had a problem with them. I use MxR adapters from eFilms. I have downloaded literally thousands of clips without one problem. Don't by the really cheap ones.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:53:11 pm

They fail all the time. Believe me; I'm the one who gets the panic call from tech support or the dealer or account rep and has to try and recover the files. Even the good ones have an alarmingly high failure rate compared to the least expensive SxS option. This is just a fact. If you must use SD stick with Pro grade cards but know that you are taking a risk.

It has nothing to do with raw speed. The Class 10 cards are more than fast enough. It has more to do with shoddy memory that is not QCd, how the card's controller handles buffering inconsistencies and other factors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]