FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Longfield
XDCAM Transfer
on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:27:37 am

Hi, I shot a project for a client that requested I shoot in, "HDV." I shot the project using my EX1R in
1440 x 1080 60i. I then imported the footage through XDCAM Transfer. However I never imported the BPAV files. Then I erased the card, (after backing up the .mov files to a second drive). Thing is I've only used XDCAM Transfer's .mov files with FCP 7 in the past. My client is an institution that is using this footage I shot for them with a lot of other HDV footage that's been shot over the years. They are not sure what editing system will be used to edit their project together at this time.

So my question: Is XDCAM Transfer's .mov files just for FCP ? My understanding is that XDCAM Transfer optimizes the footage to be used in FCP and that it does not work well in other editing systems. is that correct? (as far as my client goes I can always make HDV tapes for them, via FCP, as a backup).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: XDCAM Transfer
on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:00:35 am

[Dean Longfield] "So my question: Is XDCAM Transfer's .mov files just for FCP ? My understanding is that XDCAM Transfer optimizes the footage to be used in FCP and that it does not work well in other editing systems. is that correct? "

No. You can use the Quicktime MOV wrapped XDCAM files with any system that has the appropriate Quicktime codec installed ... you can also buy a 3rd party XDCAM Quicktime codec for both Mac and PC systems from folks like Calibrated Software.

Bu it might be easiest just to rewrap the MOV footage back to to MXF/MP4 before passing it over to the client. You can do that from FCP (Export > Sony XDCAM) or using a free 3rd party tool like Convergent Design's File Converter: http://convergent-design.com/Downloads.aspx#tptab7

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:29:07 am

The current versions of Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro and of course FCP X can all work with Pro Res. Quicktime for Windows is able to read Pro Res for use in any PC based editor but you can't encode back to Pro Res. I'm not sure about the remaining NLEs like Sony Vegas etc. but you can't support everything out there. It's very difficult to recommend a course of action when the client is so vague about when the edit will happen but right now I'd have to say transcode to Pro Res.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:12:06 pm

for codec support of the .movs they would have to have FCP installed on the same system or else they'd need the Calibrated XD-Import plugin installed. failing this you can install Content Browser and use thhe standalone Export plugin to rewrap back to .mxf (just drop each .mov onto the app and a conversion window will open up; this is something of a hidden feature).

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:18:02 pm
Last Edited By Andy Mees on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:18:15 pm

[Ian Cook] "...you can install Content Browser and use thhe standalone Export plugin to rewrap back to .mxf (just drop each .mov onto the app and a conversion window will open up; this is something of a hidden feature)."

Thats good to know Ian ... does it work Content Browser 1.1 or is this only with the commercial version?

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:20:17 pm

any version will work

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:31:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Ian, thats excellent news!
Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:48:45 pm

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/xdcam-mov-back-to-mxf

Here is a quick screen capture of the process. At the end the file is dropped into CB to verify that it behaves normally.

If you wanted to go the extra step of rebuilding the XDCAM disc image (with an XDCAM folder structure, XMLs etc) you would re-import the .mxf using Content Browser. Select a location in the Explorer window, File-->Import, browse to .mxfs... When the process is complete you will basically have gone back in time and restored the XDCAM disc..

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:10:23 pm

Thanks for the movie Ian. Very informative. Although I didn't think it would happen, you've outdone yourself yet again :)

- D

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:15:01 am

Hi Ian

Can you explain exactly what the CB exporter is for,used.. just noticed its there ! V2.2..

Can you give total idiots guide to its function and use..?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:11:50 pm

exporting from fcp x...

since X has a different architecture than 7 and Apple makes it very difficult to embed 3rd party components the export + rewrap to .mov is done via an 'open with' command in the Share dialog. this required a standalone export plugin in the root of /applications. this export component was always there, even with XDCAM Transfer, but it was bundled into the main application.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:56:36 am

Ok thanks again Ian

Return to posts index

Dean Longfield
on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:22:51 am

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
Just delivered the footage..... Will see how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]