FORUMS: list search recent posts

Iris exposure

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Bansemer
Iris exposure
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:37:17 pm

Sorry for being such a novice on this camera but I'm having trouble getting the settings right.
I'm shooting a tight shot of me finishing a small oil painting on my easel.
I wanted to lock down the exposure so that when I put my hand in frame or the edge of my light colored shirt comes into frame that the exposure of the painting remains constant and won't darken due to my shirt or hand getting in frame.
I have my iris set to manual and the shutter on the front of the EX3 set to "on".
What am I missing? Thanks for any help.
Roger

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Iris exposure
on Nov 12, 2013 at 7:54:52 pm

Make sure the "magic" button is not active (full auto). Also as you've mentioned, make sure the auto iris slider switch is in manual mode. That one is on the lens itself. It's probably best to use manual focus as well so the camera doesn't try to refocus an anything else like your arm in the middle of your shot. In order to do this, in addition to putting the focus switch to manual is to pull the focus ring back until into straight mechanical focus mode. This disengages the focus ring from the motor drive.

No need to apologize for asking your questions. This is why these forums exist. The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:56:15 pm

Thanks again...
I'm familiar with the manual/auto focus so I'm OK with that.
I have the iris set to manual.
I have the "auto mode" set to "full auto mode set to OFF"
and I am still getting a change in exposure when I something of a light color goes into frame.
I'm still missing something.
The "shutter" just below the lens is set to ON.
Roger

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:22:04 pm

There shouldn't be any change in exposure if everything is set to manual. One way to tell for sure is to activate the brightness percentage in the middle of the viewfinder. The button for that is near the top of the camera close to the handle on the left side. It's the middle of 3 buttons (BRT DISP). When you slide a lighter object into the camera's field of view (slowly) there shouldn't be any difference in the percentage of brightness until the object enters the little brightness display square in the centre of the VF. If there's something that's still causing the camera to auto adjust the iris then the percentage should climb as soon as the object enters the frame.

Also keep an eye on the iris ring. if it moves for any reason without you moving it yourself then there's something not quite right. The camera cannot auto adjust the brightness without the iris ring rotating.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:41:10 pm

Make sure that white balance is not on Auto. I was shooting an automobile race one evening and did not realize the white balance was on auto. There was a flagstand that would come into view every time the cars came around the track and it was bright white. As a result, the color temperature would change on every lap.

Good Luck

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:17:38 pm

Same for "Auto Knee", sometimes it can make picture look like exposure change without iris moving. Set to "Manual" in menu.

JS

Return to posts index

John Street
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:31:33 pm

Make sure your shutter is not on "auto" … either set it to "off" or your desired shutter speed … but if it's in auto then it will cause brightness changes just like auto-iris does.

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.7.5, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Nov 23, 2013 at 1:35:12 pm

I was away for a while but wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I'm going to give all those helpful hints a try this morning.
Roger
http://www.paintingandtravel.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]