FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems after software update

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fortin
Problems after software update
on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:10:57 pm

Installed the Software Updates by mistake on my MAC. Now, any video that has the Apple XDCAM EX codec will NOT play in any application.

In QuickTime 7.66 or 10.0 the audio plays, but there is only BLACK for video. In Final Cut Pro, it appears as a green frame.

I can open up any other QT movie that has a different codec than the Apple XDCAM, in both QT and FCP 7.03. But the QT movies with the Apple XDCAM EX codec only play audio in the QuickTime player, and show green in FCP.

I tried restoring the QuickTime Application from my Time Machine drive, but that did not work.

Any ideas.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Problems after software update
on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:09:46 am

Could you be a little more specific? Are you saying that you did a software update to OS 10.9 Mavericks? If so then you're in uncharted territory here because it's recommended that you don't upgrade if you're using professional video editing software of any kind with this first version (10.9.0) of Mavericks. And this also includes the latest versions of Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer. I think Lion was the last OS that was officially supported for FCP.

I've heard of some folks that have been using FCP 7 with Mavericks but are finding the reliability sketchy at best.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 5, 2013 at 5:05:30 pm

Don,

Sorry I wasn't more specific. At first I thought it was a FCP 7 problem, so I posted a more thorough explanation there. Should have done the same in this forum. I am out of the office today. But, I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on a MAC Pro. I think, that might have been one of the Software Updates. I probably was running 10.6.7 before the update (but I'm not sure).

I will post more details when I get back later tonight.

Thanks,

David

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 5, 2013 at 4:29:23 pm

Hi David, we have had some other reports of this and are looking into it now, can you please give me the specs of your machine?

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:10:04 pm

Specs for my system

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

QuickTime 7.6.6
QuickTime 10.0
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:21:10 pm

After extensive trial and error, we managed to solve the problem. It is definitely the ProApps update. We couldn't update our OS and didn't have a full clone backup. We started by creating a drive with a clean OS 10.6.8. None of the XDCam files would play without the Sony Codecs. We then downloaded the latest Sony XDCam FCP "Log & Transfer" application which comes embedded with all the working XDCam Codecs.

Unfortunately, that software would not install without a running version of FCP so we did a fresh install of FCP 6.3 (I think). Once that was updated to 6.8, the XDCam Log & Transfer could install and we were able to again see XDCam QuickTime files. YES. Unfortunately, most of our FCP project files were created with FCP 7.03 and now wouldn't open. We no longer had the update disks to go from 6.8 to 7.03! Ouch.

Out of sheer frustration, I went back to the old drive, did a fresh install of the XDCam Log & Transfer and also, just out of curiosity, I replaced all the files in the Library/QuickTime folder with the same files from the fresh install disk we had just assembled that was able to play the XDCam QT files. Guess what? It worked!

I am not certain whether it was the fresh install of Log & Transfer or the replacement of the older files in the QuickTime folder that might have been tainted by the ProApps update, but who cares. We are up and running again.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D4
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 7, 2013 at 1:00:58 pm

This is great news. I will try to replicate your steps.

Which version of the XDCAM Log & Transfer software did you install?

Thanks for posting the solution!

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:30:34 pm

1,000 Thanks. You are a life saver.

I followed your instructions and it worked. I installed MAC OS X 10.6.8 on an External HD. Then I installed FCP. QuickTime 7.6.6 And installed Log & Transfer.

I then went back to my old internal HD and reinstalled the Log and Transfer Plug-in for Apple Final Cut Pro 7 (FCP7) ver 1.2

For good measure, as you suggested, I replaced the Library/QuickTime files from the new install, onto the old internal HD install.

And I am up and running.

I appreciate you taking the time to re-post your advice. I wasn't looking forward to trying to find then re-installing ALL of my software applications.

Thanks again.

David

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:32:42 pm

I followed you directions and it worked. I explained my actions in detail on the Apple FCP forum, where Lawrence also posted his reply to my inquiry. I tried to post it here, but, since it was a duplicate, it won't allow me to.

Bottom line. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Kenna
on Nov 13, 2013 at 8:48:33 pm

I also had a similar problem to most people here. Cannot playback XDCAM files after upgrading from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I called Apple who suggested a fresh install of Snow Leopard without upgrading the 'ProApps QuickTime Codecs 1.0.3' and copy the contents of the Library/QuickTime form the fresh install into my QT library. However, I decided to seek the file(s) that is the cause which is the AppleHDV.Component file. I copied the faulty one to my desktop (so I had a backup) and downloaed:

PerianXDCam.component.zip -> PerianXDCam.component
PerianHDV.component.zip -> PerianHDV.component

from this website: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/discretecosine/164630.html

Once unzipped, copy into the Library/QuickTime folder and this should solve your problem, until Apple and Sony resolve this issue.

Good Luck,
MAK

Return to posts index

Mark Kenna
on Nov 19, 2013 at 2:39:31 pm

However, although this works and will allow QuickTime to read your XDCAM files, as well as being readable in FCP 7.0.3, you still cannot make your time-line sequence codec XDCAM, as teh link clearly states that the Perian substitute is a read-only codec and not write, hence you cannot write or create XDCAM files. I'm working in a ProRes time-line for now, but this obviously isn't ideal. Anyone have a solution, or can upload (WeTransfer/email to me) the original Snow Leopard 6.3 C:/Library/QuickTime component files(such as XDCAM /HDV component files?

Thanks in Advance,
MAK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]