FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter for Sony PMW 200

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aileen Pickering
Filter for Sony PMW 200
on Nov 2, 2013 at 4:15:21 pm

Hi I'm a wedding videographer in the UK and a wedding photographer recently advised me to purchase filters for my cameras to protect the lens as he has known of an incident where a stone flew up and broke the lens of another videographer's camera during filming.

The cameras I have are brand new and I don't want anything to happen to them. Can anyone advise me what filter I should buy for each camera and the best place[s] that I could acquire them? I have a Sony PMW 200 and a Sony NX70(not sure if a filter fits onto this with the standard lens & hood) both cameras have the standard lens and hood that comes with them. I want something that will basically protect the lenses, not sure whether I really want something that will affect colour or lighting etc(don't really know much about filters) as I like the way the footage comes out and I want to be able to have 1 filter for each camera & not have to change them with different situations. Maybe this isn't possible.

Can anyone advise me I'm a bit clueless about this side of it?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Filter for Sony PMW 200
on Nov 2, 2013 at 7:21:59 pm

You need a UV Protector filter for each of your cameras for everyday use. This filter will (obviously) protect the front lens element as well as offering a light UV filter for atmospheric haze. If I'm reading your Sony HXR-NX70E specs correctly the filter diameter is 37mm. so that will be your guide when ordering filters. This camera doesn't seem to have any internal filters so you should consider getting a set of neutral density (ND) filters as well. They act like sunglasses for your camera. If space between the lens is at a premium then make sure the ones you buy will fit behind the lens hood. Companies like Tiffen make half thickness filters for certain cameras.

The PMW 200 has ND filters built in so all you need here is another UV protector. If the lens is the same as my EX1R then you'll need a half thickness filter to squeeze in behind the lens hood. I use a Tiffen "77mm Wide UV Protector". That's all it says on the box and on the filter itself.

Here's a link to some generic filter pictures that will give you a starting point for your filter purchases.

http://www.tiffen.com/filters.htm

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Aileen Pickering
Re: Filter for Sony PMW 200
on Nov 4, 2013 at 1:44:51 pm

Thank you very much Don, very informative. I will get browsing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]