FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gig in China_Trouble with XDCAM Transfer - Getting Blank Clips - Need to Fix

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Gig in China_Trouble with XDCAM Transfer - Getting Blank Clips - Need to Fix
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:51:26 pm

Greetings,
I'm wanting to send back footage to local TV stations. Tracking our Symphony's Tour of China.
Transfer is showing just white clips in Thumbnails. Transferred files are just audio.

Did reinstall Transfer - same problem
Does open in XDCAM Browser.
Does open in VLC.

I can convert to to ProRes using Brorsoft Converter... but it is Sooooo Sloowwwww compared to working in XDCAM and Transfer.

Any ideas or leads. IF a codec problem, how do I check to see if the right codec is not there? How do I get the right codec. Have FCPro 7 installed.

Thank you much for whatever leads and advice you can provide!

-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Gig in China_Trouble with XDCAM Transfer - Getting Blank Clips - Need to Fix
on Nov 2, 2013 at 7:55:12 pm

I think the first thing you should try is to trash the preference files for XDCAM Transfer and for Quicktime.
The path is: Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences

com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist

com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer.plist

Some system maintenance:

• repair disk permissions using Apple's Disk Utility
  • download, install and run a free utility program like ONYX which will clean out any old or corrupt files.
  • buy Diskwarrior (no editor should be without this) which will rebuild your startup drive's directory.

Do only one of these tasks at a time in case one of them restores XDCAM Transfer back to working order, otherwise you'll never know what fixed what.

See if any of this does the job for you. Regular system maintenance is hugely important.

http://www.onyxmac.com/

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
Re: Gig in China_Trouble with XDCAM Transfer - Getting Blank Clips - Need to Fix
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:55:59 pm

Don, thank you for the system and preferences leads. I followed each suggestion to no avail.

**I'm really hoping someone has experience with this particular problem. Really screwed here in China without a workable way to get footage back to US TV stations. I can limp very slowly and offer a tiny slice of what I'm shooting, and it will take multiples of time longer to prep for editing...

Does anyone know someone who may know about this problem? I've spent a couple nights on Google looking for info and there's not much. Is there a department at Sony that may be able to help?

Thank you for whatever leads you can suggest.

-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:30:42 pm

Well, it looks like we'll have to get serious then.

From what you've described it sounds as if XDCAM Transfer has lost its link to the XDCAM EX family of codecs. These codecs reside within FCP 7 and not with XDCAM Transfer. Can you recall if you've made any changes recently to FCP 7 or to FC Studio 2 as a whole? If the EX codecs are still accessible by FInal Cut Pro 7 then they should still be available to XDCAM Transfer.

One of our resident COW contributors and Sony gurus is Ian Cook. He works for Sony and If anyone can figure out what your issue is he can. Heck, he probably helped write the code for XDCAM Transfer. Ian will probably be back here tomorrow (monday nov.4th).

In the meantime, there is a plugin that allows you to edit XDCAM EX files natively in FCP 7 and to view the video files directly within the Sony BPAV folder with programs such as CAT DV, Quicktime, etc. It's called the Calibrated Q MP4 EX component and you can find it here:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

I use it in CAT DV 10 and it works great. I think the price is around $150.00 USD. but at this point in time it might be worth it for you to buy.

If you could also satisfy my curiosity and search for a certain codec package on your startup drive to see if it's there. The path is: Macintosh HD>Library>Receipts> QuickTimeMPEG2Pro.pkg.

If you can afford to wait another day please give Ian Cook a chance to have a crack at your problem.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:17:32 am

Thank you, Don, for the leads.

I searched Macintosh HD>Library>Receipts> QuickTimeMPEG2Pro.pkg and NOT there. I wonder, is it possible to to get this package and install it... or does it come within FCP or ? I can reinstall Quicktime if necessary but not FCP (here in China).

I will also test Content Browser again. My goal it to end up with MP4 usable by FCP, which is a nice fast re-wrap. Rather than transcode into P.Res.

Thanks again. It got a little "lonely" being over here with a broken app. and casting about for a way to get back in action. Thanks to the Net and to all us creative cows!!!

-R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 5, 2013 at 12:42:46 am

If you want to contact me offline I can email you the MPEG 2 pkg. or upload it to Dropbox and send you a link to share that folder. I think I'll also send you 2 files that are found in the application support folder for Final Cut Pro. They are:

SonyExportPlugin.bundle
SonyImportPlugin.bundle

The path for these files is:

Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support>Final Cut Pro System Support>Plugins.

If the 2 files mentioned above are not present let me know and I'll email those as well. These folders are relatively small components in size so emailing or doing Dropbox is no biggie.

I still recommend getting the Calibrated Q MP4 EX component though which will allow you to edit the MP4 files natively within FCP 7.

email: info AT reeltimevideoworks DOT com

I'm also going to send Ian Cook an email and see if he'll help troubleshoot this.

UPDATE: I just got an automated reply from Ian Cook's email addy that he'll be out of the office until tomorrow Nov. 5th.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:14:48 am

Ralph I sure hope you've been getting my emails and the Dropbox link because I haven't heard anything from you for a couple of days now. I did start sending you stuff 3 days ago. Perhaps you'll see this reply soon.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]