FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Saga Of Sony Content Browser.. 2.1 and a very unhappy customer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Stinton
The Saga Of Sony Content Browser.. 2.1 and a very unhappy customer
on Oct 30, 2013 at 6:56:35 pm

I have just spent 45 mins with Sony "support". I bought a serial number for Content Bowser 2.1 which when entered told me had been registered. The end result is that you can't buy a serial number as the website states but have to spend $200.00 to convert XD-Cam footage.

Totally misleading.

I have enclosed file of whole conversation which someone here maybe able to decode into something that makes sense.

6698_sonychat.pdf.zip

Andy Stinton

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: The Saga Of Sony Content Browser.. 2.1 and a very unhappy customer
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:39:28 pm

I will speak to them about this....

Here's how it works...

Basic CB license: 20.00, enables most of the application's functions including playback, copy/archive, re-wrap to .mxf (for XDCAM EX), rewrap to .mov (XDCAM, XDCAM EX, for FCP)

Advanced Pack: 200.00, used only for working with XDCAM Planning Metadata, wifi live logging etc

Main Concept Encoder pack: 360.00, for converting to other formats (note most of the conversion options are valid only for XDCAM EX)

The transcode functions are not free, nor should they be, but you should have been given the correct info up front.

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:53:53 pm

Ok we can call me dumb ..All I want to do is after purchasing Sony's cameras is to be able to convert the footage to Pro Res for use elsewhere. I'm a ( was) consumer of your products, and would like functionality without having to learn what an "Advanced Pack" "Main Concept Encoder pack:" is, or pay to make the camera into a usable item..

Sorry to seem a bit brusk, but this has already taken up 3 hours of my day which is not earning me money.

Andy Stinton
News Minute Network
Canadian Music Week Awards Producer
Commentator Newstalk Radio 1010 Moore InThe Morning

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:02:16 pm

Just trying to clarify things..

Content Browser does not convert to ProRes with any combination of options. Your best bet is to use CB or one of our other plugins to convert to .mov (via a re-wrap upon import), then use Compressor or another app to convert to ProRes. I believe Proxy Mill can do a direct conversion to ProRes from the original mxf/.mp4.

Cheers and good luck, feel free to PM me or otherwise reach out if you need anything.

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:09:42 pm

Would love to PM you if I had you digits.

Andy Stinton
News Minute Network
Canadian Music Week Awards Producer
Commentator Newstalk Radio 1010 Moore InThe Morning

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 30, 2013 at 8:11:31 pm

email me at ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 2, 2013 at 12:22:19 pm

Andy, I started shooting with the EX 1 when all they had was Sony EX Transfer and it worked brilliantly. It did all I want to do (and I suspect you too). I can view clips, select in's and out's, import etc. Simple and quick. Then Sony started to mess about with all sorts of wondrous new features, issuing new software such as Browser, now Content Browser which, while apparently doing all the things I wanted, seemed unnecessarily complicated and time wasting. I convert my media to ProRes 422 HQ on import to Media 100 for editing but I think that it's Media 100 doing the converting, not Transfer.

Sony have (of course) discontinued Transfer, forcing new users into the difficulties that you are experiencing. Luckily I retained mine but, with each new OS it is becoming harder to use, involving one or two work arounds.

Good luck, it's hard enough acquiring our footage, we can do without barriers erected in our path en route to editing!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:38:09 pm

I liked XDCAM Transfer. Let's hope that Sony HQ doesn't get an inspiration to come up with a Sony Cloud™ that gives you the fun privilege of paying for Content Browser annually regardless of whether it already did everything you want it to! That would be a really asinine idea... *ahem*

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]