FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTime Won't Play XDCam EX Footage After ProApps Codec "Update"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
W. Lawrence Stevens
QuickTime Won't Play XDCam EX Footage After ProApps Codec "Update"
on Oct 27, 2013 at 11:16:03 pm

Apple just auto-updated the ProApps Codes for QuickTime on our Mac Pro and now none of our XDCam footage will play. (XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR) We have tried just about everything including an entire OS system reinstall.

We are running OSX 10.6.8 and everything was working just fine until this. The footage won't play in FCP 7 or QT 7, QT10.

Any help is appreciated!

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: QuickTime Won't Play XDCam EX Footage After ProApps Codec "Update"
on Oct 28, 2013 at 2:17:34 pm

You are trying to play the rewrapped quicktimes? Do you see 'apple HDV' in the QuickTime Components folder? This is actually the decoder for all MPEG Long-GOP, including XDCAM. Are you able to render to XDCAM?

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:11:06 pm

All files (apart from rendered and transcoded ProRes422 and H264) are black and can't be played; whether native/unedited or rendered from FCP or XDCam Transfer. In FCP7, they are greenscreens. Nothing works if its MPEG-2 and came from XDCam.

Yes, the AppleHDVCodec.component is present. Thank you.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 28, 2013 at 7:42:16 pm

I am not seeing this on a 10.6.8 startup disk with all the ProApps updates installed. Have you tried deleting the QT7 and QT X preferences files and maybe doing a p-ram reset?

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Oct 29, 2013 at 2:29:14 pm

Tried deleting all preferences and the P-ram reset several times. Nothing. Tried repairing permissions. Nothing. Tried XDCam Transfer and even the raw footage from our PMW-350 won't play.

Others are having this same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492686

We are getting seriously backed up trying to solve this problem. Any assistance is appreciated.

S.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D3
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 29, 2013 at 3:45:48 pm

instead of trying to figure out the problems the update caused it may be faster to do a startup drive reformat and clean install of everything. That way you can start out with earlier versions of FC Studio and the OS10.6.0 install discs which will at least get you up and running again. And then don't let the Pro Apps updater run. That's what I would do.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Brett Clark
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:21:21 pm

We ran into this issue on 2 out of 4 Mac Pros at our shop. That was the odd ball. The updates ran without a hitch on 2 systems but not on the other 2. All 4 are exact same models, same OS and RAM. Confusing. We had to just revert to the previous state, pre-update via image clone. If you Time Machine, just revert to before the update and you should be back running. Other than that, afraid it's a clean reinstallaroni.
Best of luck
BC

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:36:46 pm

We confirmed that something in the ProApps 1.0.3 update breaks the XDCAM/LongGOP component for most users running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). It's been reported to Apple. For now the only possible workarounds are either updating the OS or reverting to a backup taken before the update was applied. There are different possible creative permutations of the latter that may work which we have not yet had an opportunity to test. In the meantime it's important to for users with an urgent need for Snow Leopard support to report this to Apple.

[I posted this earlier but it appears to have disappeared. Apologies if this eventually shows up as a duplicate post...]

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:13:29 am

After extensive trial and error, we managed to solve the problem. It is definitely the ProApps update. We couldn't update our OS past 10.6.8 (early Mac Pro) and didn't have a full clone backup. We started by taking Don's advice and creating a drive with a clean OS 10.6.8. None of the XDCam files would play without the Sony Codecs of course so we then downloaded the latest Sony XDCam FCP "Log & Transfer" application which comes embedded with all the working XDCam Codecs.

Unfortunately, that software would not install without a running version of FCP so we did a fresh install of FCP 6.3 (I think). Once that was updated to 6.8, the XDCam Log & Transfer could install and we were able to again see XDCam QuickTime files. Unfortunately, most of our FCP project files were created with FCP 7.03 and now wouldn't open. We no longer had the update disks to go from 6.8 to 7.03! Ouch.

Out of desperation, I went back to the old drive, did a fresh install of the XDCam Log & Transfer and also, just out of curiosity, I replaced all the files in the Library/QuickTime folder with the same files from the fresh install disk we had just assembled that was able to play the XDCam QT files. Guess what? It worked.

I am not certain whether it was the fresh install of Log & Transfer or the replacement of the older files in the QuickTime folder that might have been tainted by the ProApps update, we are up and running again.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D4
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

djordje cenic
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:09:29 pm

Hi,

there are two updates now:
1) Quick Time-Codecs for ProApps 1.0.3
2) Pro Applications Update 2010-02 1.0

Are they the safe patch now?

Grateful for every information.
Thank you.

Djordje

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:10:30 am

After extensive trial and error, we managed to solve the problem. It is definitely the ProApps update. We couldn't update our OS past 10.6.8 (early Mac Pro) and didn't have a full clone backup. We started by taking Don's advice and creating a drive with a clean OS 10.6.8. None of the XDCam files would play without the Sony Codecs of course so we then downloaded the latest Sony XDCam FCP "Log & Transfer" application which comes embedded with all the working XDCam Codecs.

Unfortunately, that software would not install without a running version of FCP so we did a fresh install of FCP 6.3 (I think). Once that was updated to 6.8, the XDCam Log & Transfer could install and we were able to again see XDCam QuickTime files. Unfortunately, most of our FCP project files were created with FCP 7.03 and now wouldn't open. We no longer had the update disks to go from 6.8 to 7.03! Ouch.

Out of desperation, I went back to the old drive, did a fresh install of the XDCam Log & Transfer and also, just out of curiosity, I replaced all the files in the Library/QuickTime folder with the same files from the fresh install disk we had just assembled that was able to play the XDCam QT files. Guess what? It worked.

I am not certain whether it was the fresh install of Log & Transfer or the replacement of the older files in the QuickTime folder that might have been tainted by the ProApps update, we are up and running again.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D4
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:29:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your solution, Mr. Stevens.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:05:10 pm

For some reason my posts keep disappearing... 3rd attempt

The issue is that the recent ProApps update broke the QT decoder for users under Snow Leopard. Replacing the QT library folder with an older one or reverting to a backup taken before the update will fix the issue as you are then using an older version of the Apple codec. No codecs are installed with any of the Sony plugins. We are talking with Apple about this now and I hope to have an update soon

Return to posts index

djordje cenic
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:32:34 pm

hi,

is there any news? are you going to be able to fix the problem?

thanks
greetings from austria

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:38:47 pm

It's an Apple issue, we are working with them on a fix. In the meantime if you can revert the system or just the Library/QuickTime folder back to a pre-upgrade state the codecs will come back.

Return to posts index

djordje cenic
on Nov 20, 2013 at 8:35:35 am

hi,

now i managed to organize an older version of snow leopard and exchanged the messed up library/quicktime folder. it works.

thanks for posting and helping!

djordje

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:28:32 am

Hi Ian-
Will the new (as of 1/25/14) ProApps update break XDCam on Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8)?
Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:23:12 pm

I tested over the weekend and it did not break my Snow Leopard system. Still waiting on a confirmation that this version fixes the issue with update 1.0.3. Curious to see what other users report.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:57:45 pm

I've updated the two Snow Leopard computers with no ill effects (....so far). All XDCam EX footage plays just fine.
Thanks Ian.
-Mike

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:07:58 pm

great, thanks for confirming

Return to posts index

David Wooten
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:04:02 pm

We experienced the same problem. If you have a machine that did not get updated, you can copy the QuickTime elements from the Library folder from the un-updated machine to the affected machine and your pictures will return. We feel this is easier and faster than a re-install, if you have access to a machine with a Library folder from ProApps 1.0.

Return to posts index

Jon Schwartz
on Feb 12, 2014 at 8:48:51 pm

I had this exact problem on SL. I just updated to the most recent ProApps update and the codec is back online! I think it was the 1.0.4 update..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]