FORUMS: list search recent posts

BEST Setting to XDCAM Camera (PMW200) and sequence in final cut for best Export

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholaus Mtawa
BEST Setting to XDCAM Camera (PMW200) and sequence in final cut for best Export
on Oct 25, 2013 at 3:06:42 pm

Hi,

Am using my previous camera Sony AX2000 to shoot and edit in final cut but there is something disturb my mind and i don't know exactly where to fix it. My output video have flickering/shaking like resoulution, see image below

If you look closely to the right hand of this snapshot there is a guy on his back head you see as there is a shake of image. what should i do to overcome this problem regarding camera setting(resolution) and editing setting in a sequence and export setting using .mov or .mp4.

Am planning to get the best for my new PMW ex280 camera.

Thank you for your reply

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: BEST Setting to XDCAM Camera (PMW200) and sequence in final cut for best Export
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:00:39 pm

Hello Nicholaus,

Welcome to Creative COW.

The shaking you describe in your frame grab is actually an interlacing artifact that happens when there is movement. I suspect that the earlier Sony AX2000 is prone to this more so than with newer cameras. The PMW 200 will be much better at interlaced recording and motion artifacts should be reduced to a minimum.

There are various factors that affect how much interlaced 'tearing' is will be visible in your picture:

- shooting frame rate (50i 60i)
- shutter speed (1/25th 1/50th 1/60th sec. and so on)
- and to some extent F stop choice which will affect exposure and depth of field.

Generally the faster the shutter speed and the higher the F stop number the less chance of seeing interlacing motion artifacts. If you want to eliminate the artifacts completely then shoot progressive with the PMW 200. With progressive you get one complete picture per frame of video instead of 2 interlacing odd/even fields per frame. With progressive you will get a certain amount of motion blur depending on your shutter speed but this is sometimes desirable depending on what your subject matter is and what 'look' you're trying to achieve. If your final product is to be played on computers or flat screen televisions then shooting progressive is recommended.

In Final Cut Pro if you're shooting interlaced with the PMW 200 then choose an interlaced timeline for your editing with the field order in timeline settings set to upper field first for HD. If you're shooting progressive then obviously choose a progressive timeline.

Best of luck with your new camera.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Nicholaus Mtawa
Re: BEST Setting to XDCAM Camera (PMW200) and sequence in final cut for best Export
on Oct 26, 2013 at 6:45:08 am

Hi Don,

First of all thank you for your reply and joining me in Creative cow, and am hoping to get most of my threads solved in this forum and life/work go easier.

I think i'll get this problem solved, let me go and work for it then i'll get back to you after shooting and editing my next project. Thank you Don again

Nicholaus Mtawa
Deepnic Media Limited
Dar es salaam Tanzania.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 26, 2013 at 2:14:29 pm

You're welcome. Best of luck, Nicholaus.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]