FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-EX3 DC input fried

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Kennedy
PMW-EX3 DC input fried
on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:55:17 am

Hello all. Long time reader first time poster.

I have 3 EX3s that are used in a combination of formal interview and run and gun situations. For a while I was using aftermarket Dynacore batteries that mount in on the camera just like the factory Sony battery but also plug into the DC in jack on the side of the camera. As time went on we began to have cameras failing. The DC in jack has some protective 'beads' that were getting fried when a new battery was plugged into the camera. This NEVER happened when using the Sony power supply (which also uses the DC in jack). So after having the cameras fixed about 5 times we decided to try something else. We switched to the Bebob V-mount battery adaptor (which again uses the same DC in jack on the side of the camera). And for a few weeks it was fine but now I've had it happen again. New better plugged into the camera (the camera was off when the battery was connected) and the camera won't fire up. Nothing. A stock Sony battery WILL power the camera.

Based on how many people are using EX3 cameras and aftermarket power solutions I can't believe that I have been able to find nothing on the web about this problem. Has anyone else dealt with this before? Any solutions besides replacing the DC in protective circuit over and over?

Thanks in advance
-Jesse Kennedy

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: PMW-EX3 DC input fried
on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:25:54 am

I don't have a solution, apart from using sony batteries. But i wanna add to the thread that I'm using the swit batteries on my EX1r (also with the dc input) and I'm very happy with those! I always 'empty' the whole battery before full charging. Most of my shoots, i can do on 1 battery. (of course second is fully charged in my bag :-) )

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
Re: PMW-EX3 DC input fried
on Oct 6, 2013 at 3:28:27 pm

Hello...

I do feel your pain on this issue....I know that this does not help much, but I use the Anton Bauer EX3 adapter with Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries....and for 3 years I have had no problems.....It seems like if you using the adapter/batteries combo and your 3 cameras are doing the same thing....it might be the battery system you are using....

HTH

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]