FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R Lengthy Horror Story with happy ending and a Big Question Mark

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
EX1R Lengthy Horror Story with happy ending and a Big Question Mark
on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:39:30 pm

My EX1R had a persistent problem, which is irrelevant to this discussion. Fortunately, before sending the camera off to Sony for exorcism (it's still there, awaiting a new lens), I stored its setting on an SxS card. AM I GLAD I DID!

Work started pouring in the moment I didn't have a camera. I borrowed a friend's EX1R. He told me it had a buzz on the headphone jack, though the audio itself was clean. I tried it out; the buzz was very loud - no way to monitor audio properly.

So I went into the shooting menu, navigated to the bottom category ("Others"), and chose All Reset/Execute.

Result: No audio monitored at all. Audio was recorded, and cleanly, but I couldn't hear anything via the headphone jack. Nor could I hear previously-recorded clips in playback.

I tried all the usual tricks, removing the battery, restarting several times, All Resetting several times.

Nada. If I'd had a small enough screwdriver, I would've removed the memory battery, but I didn't, so I didn't.

Then, out of desperation more than anything else, I inserted my SxS card, with MY camera's settings on it, and recalled its settings. Immediately, not only did the audio monitoring started working again, but it had no buzz (a problem that the camera apparently had had for months).

So.... Now I'm both relieved and a little freaked. This incident has put the fear of God into me. Should I be storing my camera settings on every SxS card, on a regular basis? What happened to my friend's camera to (1) make it start to buzz, (2) make the audio monitoring disappear, and (3) restore its proper audio monitoring when ANOTHER camera's stored settings were restored to it?

In short, what happened, & can I do anything to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Thanks for bearing with my tale of horror. Please help me write a better ending so I don't wind up in a pit with a pendulum some day.

Bob ("E. A. Poe") Cole

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: EX1R Lengthy Horror Story with happy ending and a Big Question Mark
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:25:30 pm

It's not a mystery-- your Setup file loaded your settings and probably corrected some logic problem in the owner's current setup. It's good to keep a setup file handy for situations like these (and of course to back up your Picture Profiles and other settings). It's possible that the Monitor setting was stuck or otherwise not correct as this controls the headphone output.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:33:34 pm

[Ian Cook] "your Setup file loaded your settings "

Ian, what would I have been able to do, had I not had the SxS card with the settings stored on it?

Does formatting the card in the camera remove the stored settings? Can I move the stored settings to a hard drive or a CD?

Those settings are valuable! It was a total afterthought to store the settings when I sent my camera off to Sony Repair.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:48:04 pm

I'm not Ian Cook (he'll be glad to know!) but I think I can answer your questions.

You would have been stuffed had you not kept your camera settings. I would have thought that yes, certainly, you would lose the settings from the card had you formatted. Yes, you can keep the settings on other drives than the S X S cards, I keep mine on a memory stick.

I never format cards other than when used in a camera for the first time. I merely delete clips to clear a card for re use.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:59:54 pm

I have my settings for my EX-3 on a SDHC, class 10 card(with adapter)...its a 4gb and that's all I use it for...it will hold all my settings....It comes in real handy when I want match other EX-3's, so I can have all cameras matching....it has never let me down. And it will free up a SXS card....

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:59:53 pm

Michael has a good point regarding formatting. While it's good to format the cards occasionally there is no real long term benefit to be had vs doing a 'delete all.' And if you format without backing up your settings file, it's gone. If you want to back it up it is stored on the card in SONY/PRO/CAMERA/XDCAM_EX/PMWEX1R as 'setup.suf'. Save this to your computer or another drive.

If he hadn't stored his settings a system reset on its own may have done the trick but I can't say for sure without knowing what caused the problem.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:17:25 pm

Thanks all. This is really valuable information. I will be deleting a lot of clips from now on, rather than formatting. I had always thought formatting was the way to go.

Again with hypotheticals (because five hours ago this was not hypothetical at all!):

When the camera seems to have an intractable problem, and no amount of depowering/repowering avails, would it be okay/advisable to take out the battery in the base (which I assume maintains the long-term memory)?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:03:21 am

I wouldn't go that far, you will probably be losing really valuable data for running the camera, Ian will doubtless confirm. I'd stick to re sets in the event of more trouble but why anticipate, these cameras are pretty solid performers and your problem was a one off, and you don't know what your friend did to invite that problem.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:27:58 pm

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters but ... I keep all my settings on an 8Gb card but this has been formatted numerous times (in the camera)and it hasn't deleted the settings file. Only found this out by accident when wiping a whole load of cards before a shoot. Obviously worth having it backed up onto a stick too though as you say Michael.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:40:39 pm

That is not possible-- perhaps you were doing a Delete All instead of formatting? Under no circumstances is the setup file left on the card after formatting in the camera. If you format a card with a settings file on it you will lose the settings file.

Another thing which has been brought up before and merits repeating (I have to break this to someone at least a couple times a month)-- you cannot recover anything from a card formatted in the camera. Ever. An in-camera format is a secure low-level format which overwrites the data on the card. The camera does this for performance reasons to manage erase/write cycles during recording. Please be careful. It's not a question of finding the right recovery tool-- the data is gone and cannot be retrieved by any means.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
OP with New Chapter in the horror story - different camera, similar issue
on Sep 26, 2013 at 2:38:34 am

The issue for which I wrote the original post above happened on a friend's EX1R that I was borrowing -- this issue is on MY camera, just back from Sony.

I just got my EX1R back from Sony repair. In addition to a new lens (for a backfocus issue, which may or may not be fixed) they updated the software. Today, without changing anything except for putting my SxS (Sony brand) cards into the camera, I tried monitoring the audio - nothing in the headphones, just as with my friend's camera last week. I restored my old settings from my SxS card - and just as with my friend's camera, audio monitoring returned, & worked perfectly all day long. So I wonder whether it is just some software issue.

Ooookay. I can't blame myself or my friend for this one. The audio monitoring on my camera worked before I sent it to Sony; it didn't when it came back; it works now. I'm not doing anything exotic - just line in audio monitoring and no adjustments to the audio menu At All. (I also tried monitoring the camera mic - same problem, fixed by same system restore.)

What is going on with these cameras to cause audio monitoring to stop working? Two separate cameras now, same issue, same fix.

It's as scary as a creaky door in a haunted house.

Bob C

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: OP with New Chapter in the horror story - different camera, similar issue
on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:14:09 am

Hi Bob,

I'm not real familiar with the EX1/3, but I do know that, on all cameras that Audio is turned off when the frame rate is 24 (not 23.9), 30 (not 29.9) or 60 (not 59.9). Perhaps the rest sets the frame rate at 24. It does this on the Alexa for example and you must change to a frame rate that allows Audio before you'll see (or hear) it!

JS

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 26, 2013 at 9:37:05 am

Very interesting. How do you use a camera with the audio turned off? And by "turned off" do you mean that the audio monitoring is turned off, or audio recording as well?

I have been using the Sony EX1R set to 1080p30 for years, and audio monitoring has worked perfectly, until now.

The Sony repair facility upgraded my version to 1.31. I wonder whether that has anything to do with it.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:15:37 am

At the risk of oversimplifying the problem perhaps the software upgrade defaulted the audio monitor volume to completely off and the preference settings from your SxS card restored the setting to what it was before you sent the camera in. I know that if you hit the RESET ALL in the menu the audio monitor volume will default to zero gain. This fact has caught me more than once, trying to figure out why I can't hear anything and then realizing that the monitor volume has been reset to zero.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Dan Weissman
on May 1, 2015 at 3:01:35 am

Hi Ian,
Stumbled onto this valuable bit of info (thank you!), and wonder: does it apply when using SD cards in adaptors?
thanks a bunch,
- Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]