FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding XDCAM EX to ProRes in FCPX

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
Transcoding XDCAM EX to ProRes in FCPX
on Sep 6, 2013 at 1:02:19 pm

I installed Sony's XDCAM plug-in (PDZK-LT2) for FCPX, 10.0.9.

So now I can get XDCAM EX files into FCPX several ways.

FCPX can import the files from either the original BPAV folders, or from the *.mov files created by XDCAM Transfer. I can also send files to FCPX via XDCAM Browser. They don't seem to produce identical results, at least in terms of the metadata when viewed in FCPX. Each method results in a native XDCAM EX file, playable in FCPX.

The question I have is, why can't this media be transcoded to ProRes? If I try to transcode the media, the Transcode option is checked, but grayed out.

It appears that since I installed the Sony plug-in for XDCAM, FCPX will only work with this media in it's native format. Is that correct?

If I want to use ProRes do I have to transcode it before bringing it into FCPX?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Transcoding XDCAM EX to ProRes in FCPX
on Sep 6, 2013 at 3:36:25 pm

It is working with XAVC but for some reason not with XDCAM or XDCAM EX, either by preference setting or manually. Checking on this now. Stand by.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:35:35 pm

So, you're saying you can't transcode XDCAM EX to ProRes either?

But, I should be able to?

If this is a SW issue, I'm assuming it will take a while for Sony to release a new plug-in?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:05:41 pm

Thanks, Craig, I just saw this and was not aware until now that this was not a possibility

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:54:14 pm

FCPX with Sony plugin allows import from BPAV.
FCPX does not transcode XDCAM EX to ProRes as it considers the format natively easy to work with.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5294

Some camera original formats do not benefit from improved performance when transcoded to ProRes 422. When you select these formats the "Create optimized media" option will be unavailable. Native camera media formats that you can edit in Final Cut Pro X with good performance include:

HDV
DV
DVCPRO HD
XDCAM HD/EX/HD422

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 8, 2013 at 9:26:42 pm

Craig,

While it's quite possible I read this at one point in time and have forgotten it. (along with other things I can't recall that I've forgotten) Sorry to clog up the forum with answers found in the documentaiton.

Although it's odd that Apple would not allow the media to be transcoded. It is compressed and does take more (CPU) effort, as opposed to ProRes.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 10, 2013 at 2:18:50 pm

The reason is that the decode time and edit performance for ProRes vs MPEG 2 and the other listed codecs is almost the same. It was Apple's decision to disable this option for these formats.

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:34:05 pm

That's interesting. I was under the impression that ProRes was easier (on the CPU/GPU) to edit with than compressed file formats.

Either way, thanks Ian and Craig for clearing this up.

Kevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]