FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-200 Low Audio Levels and Quality

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thor Leach
PMW-200 Low Audio Levels and Quality
on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:55:00 pm

I've noticed a gradual decline in the quality of the audio recording to our PMW-200. I've had to change the external mic reference level from the default setting of -30 to -40 or even -50 sometimes. I didn't used to have to do that... I recently tested the PMW's audio against our old Z7U and, everything else being equal (same microphone, same cable, same input gain level) and with the PMW external mic reference level set to -40, there is an approximately 6 to7 dB difference in the recorded audio levels with the PMW being the quieter of the two.

Compensating for this problem is already introducing an unacceptable amount of noise into my audio recordings and it seems like it might be getting worse... Is this a common problem with the PMW-200 or am I the only one with these issues? Anybody have any suggestions? Do I need to send it in for repair or can I update the firmware again?

Now that I think about it, the issue may have started after I updated the firmware to fix the back focus...

Return to posts index

remi cadoret
Re: PMW-200 Low Audio Levels and Quality
on Sep 12, 2013 at 12:19:40 pm

I am having the same problem. Above -40db, the external mic reference level is producing a noise. I tried diferent mics but the problem remains.
Anyone with a solution?

Return to posts index

Evan Howell
on Nov 28, 2014 at 7:28:39 pm

HI,
Wondering if anyone has figured out the audio issue. Came back from a job after having to bring the ext reference to -60. I, too, have been noticing a gradual problem. Fortunately, a music bed will cover much of the noise I generated.

VERY curious to see if the problem is limited or widespread.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jul 15, 2017 at 6:04:04 am

I've noticed a similar problem. The monitored audio comes over fine but when you check the recorded levels they seem to be lower.
To be honest I always thought it was operator error ☹ so it helps to see others have the same problem.

By way of a fix, if I use a lav mic the recorded levels seem better. i.e. power with the mic.
Rode mics on phantom power seem to give me problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]