FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM Differences PMW-EX1R/PMW-EX3/PMW-200

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cesar pacheco
Sony XDCAM Differences PMW-EX1R/PMW-EX3/PMW-200
on Aug 9, 2013 at 5:07:39 am

If I have a $10,000 budget, what would be the difference between the XDCAM recorders I listed in the subject? I have used the EX1R but not the other two. They are around $2000 difference, what would be the reason to spend more on the EX3 vs the PMW-200?

I did a compare on the Sony site but would like to hear opinions, thank you.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Sony XDCAM Differences PMW-EX1R/PMW-EX3/PMW-200
on Aug 11, 2013 at 8:33:52 am

I have the ex1r. I would want the ex3 because you can switch lenses. The pmw 200 is 50MB/s so better higher quality in theory.
Big disadvantage (for me) of the 200 is that you cant rotate the zoom handle.

So if you do a lot of green screen work or color correction, the 200 would be the best. If you want wide angle, take the ex3 so you can put on another lens. Or wait untill the pmw 300 arrives.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony XDCAM Differences PMW-EX1R/PMW-EX3/PMW-200
on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:58:42 pm

Well, the EX3 is very similar in performance to the EX 1, it does however allow a change of lens which may or may not be helpful. I find that it is heavier so not as easy to use on a busy location. The shaded and magnified screen is a huge benefit, the EX 1 is tricky to focus in bright light.

The PMW 200 is an interesting variant to the EX 1 but the only real improvement in my opinion is the ability to shoot at 50mbps which is now a requirement for many broadcasters. The EX cameras shoot at 35 (VBR). All these cameras, properly used, can give wonderful quality pictures with every aid in the menus that you could possibly want - well done Sony.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]