FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX-1R/Ex-3 picture profile question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronnie Martin
Sony EX-1R/Ex-3 picture profile question
on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:41:22 pm

Picture profiles needed for EX-1R/EX-3

Last fall we took a trip to Italy and took along our trusty EX 1-R and found that due to it’s professional look” we were barred from shooting a various places while the fellow next to me was shooting away with a canon digital DLSR with no complaints at all. BTW he is a filmmaker and was shooting inside places that I was banned from simply due to the form factor of my camera. Our arsenal of cameras for Kato Video Productions includes the Ex-1R, Ex-3 and the PMW 320. This small Canon Camera XA20 was purchased to see if we could travel with a smaller lighter less obtrusive camera and not be kept from shooting while at the same time have the ability to capture video that would have a quality image.

Wow!! When testing the XA20 I was completely blown away by the image. I couldnot believe that I could capture such a great image with such a small camera.

We have been a loyal Sony camera customer for many years. I have always said that even my socks say Sony. What I noticed about the Canon, was that right out of the box a warmer more contrasting image. I realize that image quality is very subjective.
What might look great to one videographer may look bad to another. It appears,as my tired old eyes age with the rest of my body, that I prefer the “look” of the XA20.
We are a small production company and for us we do not have the option to dump our Sony cameras for cameras that have the look that we have experienced with the Canon XA20. We are so heavily invested in the XDCAM cameras, that we would like to find some suggestions (Picture Profile wise) to warm up the Sony XDCAM cameras and improve the clarity and sharpness of the image to match more closely the Canon XA20.

I have seen Profiles on various sites and tried several with little if any success. Currently, we are running Doug Jensen's Doug 1 profile on the Ex-1R and the EX-3.and we have been completely satisfied until we compared it side by side with the Canon XA20. It is sharper, has more detail, warmer and has more contrast than the Sonys. We have never been able to match the PMW 320 to Doug Jensen's profile for the EX1-R and EX-3. Since the PMW 320 is used mostly indoors in a studio configuration we have been just using the standard settings warmed up with Warm cards. We have had many Sony cameras in the past and they all have been rather neutral out of the box. The Sonys have been extremely reliable. I couldnot believe how good the Canon looked even without some tweaking. We actually had to turn the sharpness down.

Any suggestion on where to look to get some picture profiles from the Sony cameras that would allow more contrast and warmer colors surely would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
ronnievideo@aol.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony EX-1R/Ex-3 picture profile question
on Aug 4, 2013 at 9:40:49 am

The real expert over here in Europe as regards PP's for Sony cameras is Alister Chapman. His company is Ingenious TV and he posts many tutorials which can probably be accessed through his web site.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alen Alilovic
Re: Sony EX-1R/Ex-3 picture profile question
on Aug 14, 2013 at 7:03:30 pm

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2011/06/ex1-and-ex3-picture-profiles/

Try this ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]