FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer with Mountain Lion?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
XDCAM Transfer with Mountain Lion?
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:05:50 pm

I'd like to update my Macbook pro 17" with Mountain Lion. I currently use my MBP in the field to offload footage from SXS cards and SDHC cards from my Ex1 camera. I'm on 10.6.8 Will Mountain lion work with this software or are there new drivers or updates to XDCAM Transfer?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM Transfer with Mountain Lion?
on Jul 9, 2013 at 6:18:21 pm

works, though technically unsupported beyond Lion.. we have it running here with no issues. if you have trouble you'll need to switch to Content Browser.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:43:38 pm

Thanks Ian, do you suggest using Content Browser over XDCam Transfer?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:58:12 pm

That depends. You should really have both on the system. CB is better for management, archiving/copying (with CRC verification) and has a lot of features XDCAM Transfer does not have. It is also going to be the only choice once we move beyond Mountain Lion..

That said we still prefer the Transfer application for FCP imports. It does background processing (doesn't lock up the application/MAC during transfers), has better support for sub-clips and spanned clips and has a cleaner, easier to navigate interface. I'd recommend staying with Transfer for as long as it works. If it fails or starts misbehaving it should not pose any risk to your data; it will simply stop working.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:41:03 pm

Ian, I use XDCAM transfer in the field to offload footage from my cards and the other shooters I use. So it needs to be reliable. I can't afford a surprise on location by not having the ability to ofload the files and check them. At the same time, I'd like to update my macbook to Mountain Lion and also use FCP X on that device. What are your suggestions? What would YOU do?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:53:38 pm

Again, Transfer is no longer supported but seems stable under Mountain Lion. If you want to risk it that's up to you.

You really shouldn't be offloading cards with Transfer-- it has no verification capabilities and is really only meant for converting to .mov. We'd recommend using Browser for this.

FCP X can be used with either our PDZK-LT2 plugin (works within the app; no separate browser) or, if more detailed logging/sub-clipping is necessary, Browser can also be used as an FCP X plugin.

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:06:08 am

I found that XDCAM Transfer didn't work after updating to ML. However, on re-downloading and re-installing it all worked fine. That was a year ago and no problems at all since.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:27:14 pm

I'm a great fan of Transfer, Content Browser seems ridiculously over specced. However, I too had problems when I went to Mountain Lion but can manage now I've worked out slight differences in my operating it. Let us hope that it continues to work.

Greg, in the field I merely download my S X S cards into a portable USB powered drive, through a MacBook Pro. Laptop. Don't need Transfer for that. I just drag and drop, then back up onto a bigger drive back at base. I know I'm taking a chance without a checking process, I merely check if all the clip numbers have gone over OK. Ian, please please can we keep a simple Transfer application rather than this wretched Browser.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]