FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sell Sony EX1R in favor of a Canon DSLR?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Teller
Sell Sony EX1R in favor of a Canon DSLR?
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:58:28 pm

I currently own a Sony EX1R and Canon 5D Mark II with a wide assortment of lenses. I really like the quality and film look of the footage I get from my 5D, so much so that it has become my main camera. I shoot mostly weddings and lots of sports - should I sell my EX1 and purchase another 5D? Maybe a C100? Curious to see what people think.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sell Sony EX1R in favor of a Canon DSLR?
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:41:06 pm

EX1 series (now PMW200, etc) is still an excellent camera for ENG style work. Sometimes shallow depth of field can be a problem.

That said the C100 would be a good choice for cinematic style shooting. Alternately the new Blackmagic 4K camera looks interesting. Having a global shutter is a real plus for some as well.

When considering sports keep in mind the C100 (or the BM4K) shoot 60p (or 50p) it temporal resolution is important. Also depending on the sport, you may be fighting to keep the depth of field deeper when needed.

Return to posts index

Jordan Teller
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:43:56 pm

So if I was to sell the EX1R you would recommend going C100 over 5D Mark III, let's say?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:58:23 pm

Personally I'd pick the C100 over the 5D Mk III because I like the idea of XLR inputs and Neutral Density filters built in.

On the other hand I'm interested in the BM4k as well because global shutter can be very important (note the split flashes you get with rolling shutter when shooting wedding with the photog flashing away). Also 4K gives you room to both stabilize and reframe.

Magic Lantern is making the 5K Mk III interesting though seeing how 4k might (and I say "might") be viable.

Return to posts index

Jordan Teller
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:59:49 pm

Interesting. One of the most frustrating parts of using the EX1 and the 5D together on a shoot (as I do at all weddings) is matching them after the fact which is why I was thinking of going all 5D/C100. Wouldn't the BM present the same issue?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:36:51 pm

[Jordan Teller] "Wouldn't the BM present the same issue?"

BM4K recording CinemaDNG gives you a lot of grading flexibility (and shorter record times) but recording to ProRes in some log equivalent would still be very flexible. It's when a look is baked in and you have limited range to push things where some troubles can happen. Granted there's more to matching cameras than that. You'll be able to get closer with the BM and the C100 over the EX because you'll be able to match lenses as well to some extent (keeping in mind the 5D is full sensor rather than super35ish.

My concern would be getting no good shot at all if you're dealing with the additional settings changes when you want to avoid shallow depth of field. That would depend on the event conditions as well. Imagine shooting indoors in low light and avoiding shooting at something like F1.9 for example because you're going to have a hard time maintaining focus on a moving subject.

Return to posts index

Ronnie Martin
on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:51:39 pm

I guess I am a purist at heart. When I shoot stills I use my Canon DSLR and when I shoot video I use one of my EXDCAM cameras. Ex1R, Ex-3, or PMW 320.

If I want a "film look" I shoot film. When shooting sports where there is a lot action I really like the EXDCAM cameras. Often I shoot dirt car racing in low light conditions at night and shoot as long as 2-3 hours. There are times where the cars are moving at over 100mph and my Ex-1R is shooing at f 1.9. I need all the DOF I can get.

So my recommendation is to select the best tool for the job at hand.

Take Care

Ronnie

Ronnie Martin
Kato Video Productions
http://www.dirtracingvideo.com
http://www.ramtv.tv

Return to posts index

tony west
on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:29:54 pm

I went a different way on this. I have an EX1R and then I bought an F3

I can use the same cards in both cameras and the same batteries, plus the menus are mostly the same.

I love both cameras for certain jobs. While the F3 looks great for sit downs and that look that many clients want, it's not the camera I want on a press conference.

They are easy to match also.

The only down side to this is the F3 is not cheap : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]