FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW-200: Polarized vs. UV filters

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver de Morassé
PMW-200: Polarized vs. UV filters
on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:42:55 pm

For our outdoor work (often sunny bright skies, glare from snow...) does it make sense to use a polarized or UV filter? Or should we play around with the NR and Picture Profiles within the camera itself? Any tips and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Oliver

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: PMW-200: Polarized vs. UV filters
on Jul 6, 2013 at 9:36:52 pm

A UV filter (for UV haze) won't help you on outdoor exposure control. You need to use the camera's ND filters. I don't know about the PMW-200, but I have had color shift (toward green) issues when using a polarlizer on an EX1. A polalizing filter will knock down some of the light level, as well as cutting glare and saturating a blue sky.

Bob

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: PMW-200: Polarized vs. UV filters
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:28:14 pm

I second the ND comment. If I remember correctly, the effect you get from a polarizer filter varies depending on the angle from incident light. It may still help tune out reflections to help your shot overall, but I wouldn't use it simply to knock down glare. It's a specific tool for a specific use in specific conditions.

Someone who knows more about the physics of cinematography can probably explain this better (or poke holes in what I said). I'm just speaking from my experience as a DSLR hobbyist shooting outdoor landscapes.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]