COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver de Morassé
Sony PMW-200 - White Balancing
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:52:50 pm

We wish to shoot in completely different situations:

1. Indoor Studio, Green screen, Spokespersons
2. Outdoor, bright sunlight, snow, colorful outfits - sporting event

Any tips on how to best white balance? What about color profiles? Finally, should we be using lens filters?

Thanks for any tips / advice, Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony PMW-200 - White Balancing
on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:44:47 pm

Do a manual white balance in the usual way, with a white card in the given light at the time of shooting. If you are new to the camera you should view a video which explains all the features on the camera. I don't know if there has been one made yet for the 200 but Doug Jensen of Vortex Media did a fabulous one for the EX cameras and doubtless also for the 200. Exact colour grading is best left to post production in my opinion but I often set my chosen Kelvin figure as a Picture Profile, rather than doing a White Balance. Everybody has their own way of obtaining the picture that they want but you are safer setting a manual white balance.

I always fit a top quality UV filter on any camera I own but that is for protection of the front element more than any optical advantage.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:03:32 am

Many thanks Michael for your tips.

Doug Jensen of Vortex Media has done a video of "Mastering Sony's PMW-200, 160, 150, 100 XDCAM Cameras" - looks just the thing I need!

Regards, Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver de Morassé
on Jun 27, 2013 at 12:42:04 pm

I like you idea to fit a "top quality UV filter" on my camera. Having done a little research, what's the difference between a UV-filter and a polarised filter? Should I use a different one for indoor green screen and outdoor filming? Any makes (i.e. Hoya) & models you might recommend. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 27, 2013 at 3:04:48 pm

The two filters are very different in applications. A UV filter has very little effect optically in my experience, maybe helps somewhat with the treatment of sky areas but, as I said, I just use it for protection. Tiffen filters are generally regarded as the best available brand.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

John Cooke
on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:48:22 pm

I've just recently bought the sony PMW-200 and i can't seem to change my white balance presets. Everytime I move the button from preset to either A or B the message "Cannot Proceed" appears. I know this will be a silly setting somewhere but I just can't seem to find it. Manual hasn't been much help either, Can you help? Thanx

Return to posts index

Tom Greenwood
on May 11, 2014 at 5:03:03 pm

Hi John - sure you've got this sorted by now, but in case anyone else has the same problem in future: it sounds like you have the "direct menu" selected. It allows you to dial in white-balance / shutter speed etc with the menu wheel. You can set direct menu "all" "part" or "off" in the "others" menu

Return to posts index

Sasa Svara
on Feb 4, 2015 at 2:19:23 am

Hi Tom,
I have just rented PMW-200 and I to have problem with WB and Gain switches and your reply was very helpful. My question is: Can you choose which "part" you can use, in "Direct Menu"?

Sasa S
Senior Editor/Cameraman

Return to posts index

Tom Greenwood
on Feb 4, 2015 at 3:00:06 am

Hi Sasa,
Sorry, I don't know.
I have found the folks at sonysos@eu.sony.com helpful with these type of questions.
Best of luck,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]