FORUMS: list search recent posts

Request for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cook
Request for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)
on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:23:09 pm

Hello friends,

I would like to ask for some feedback from those of you who use our Content Browser application to manage your XDCAM/EX files. Also please let me know if you are running into any bugs or other issues.

Please indicate which product (and codec) you are using when you post a feature request / bug or feedback.

If, in your comments you could 'rate' the application based on the scale below it would be helpful to our planning and development team.

1 = Nice to have, use it once in a while or not at all

5 = I think a lot of my colleagues would use this

7 = I would use everyday because it saves me lots of time/money/storage

10 = I can't do an important part of my job without it

Thanks everyone...

Ian

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Request for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:46:50 pm

Hate Content Browser, it's much too complicated and does stuff I don't need. Love Sony EX Transfer, still have the original version and it does what I want, lets me play and select sections of clips from my BPAV folders and import them into my Media 100 edit suite in the ProRes 422 HQ codec for editing. I hope that I can continue importing my EX media in this way.

Ex 1 Camera
S X S Cards
MacPro 8 Core & MacBook
Media 100 Suite

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Request for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:54:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify a few things:

1) Neither XDCAM Transfer nor the EX Log and Transfer plug-in transcode to ProRes. The files always stay in their native codec, rewrapped to an .mov file

2) Content Browser supports the same functionality, though there is a more complex UI and feature set as it is an all-in-one management application. The Transfer plugins were strictly for FCP ingest/rewrap.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:30:11 pm

Ian, I appreciate all that, I know that Media 100 is encoding the ProRes. My point is that I use the Transfer for doing just that, I want to continue doing just that without all the complicated distractions of the new Content Browser. I know that it will transfer the media but it's a hell of a job to work it all out. What's so special about FCP, I regard Media 100 as being superior, but then I'm a very old editor.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:46:49 pm

We stayed with the Log and Transfer program to log our optical disks. Now that we've got an EX camera, we've had to start using Content Browser. I find it very confusing and difficult to use. One function I miss is the ability to easily subclip a master clip. We get game "melts" and have to break the master clip into 40 or more subclips. You can do that in Log and Transfer, but I can't figure out a way to do it in Content Browser.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:49:51 pm

Well said Mitch, I think that Content Browser is a real bitch to use and understand.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:07:49 pm

Thanks-- I'm assuming you mean 'XDCAM Transfer' when you say Log and Transfer? Our older XDCAM Transfer plugin allowed pretty much unlimited sub-clipping on a particular clip.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
Re: quest for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:04:16 pm

Yes, it's XDCAM Transfer. The unlimited clipping option is something we really need.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: quest for user feedback and feature requests, Sony Content Browser and possible next generation application(s)
on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:08:46 am

So Ian, what Mitch and I are saying is: can we have a simple log and transfer app. into which we can load our BPAV folders view the material and then select sections from various clips (sub clips) for importing into our chosen edit system. In other words, exactly what you initially provided when the EX cameras first arrived. Luckily I still have mine installed and continue to use it, although with OS Mountain Lion I have to work it slightly differently. Simplicity is all, things today are getting way too smart!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Shelley Moore
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:05:41 pm

I've spent hours, no days, trying to get a finished project back from FCPX to the desktop as an MXF file using Content Browser Exporter. I use Content Browser to import the MXF files from my Sony XDCAM 700, which are then wrapped or converted or whatever to MOV files to edit with. But it has been impossible to export the finished project back to the desktop as an MXF.

However, I talked at length to a fellow at Sony about six weeks ago. He, through much trial and error, finally figured out how to do it. But the process is so time-consuming there is no way it is usable for deadlines. He figured out that you have to assign a "role" to each of the 8 mono tracks of audio in order for Content Browser Exporter to accept it. It is a silly and finicky and time-consuming process even if you have just one audio track source. But if you've got more than one source, EACH one has to be expanded to its 8 mono tracks, then EACH one of those has to be assigned a "role" (which is what FCPX is calling them now.) Not even remotely usable. Unless there is a fix to that issue between Content Browser Exporter and FCPX, one that allows you to simply 'share' (export) the finished project with all video and audio tracks as is back to the desktop as an MXF, then it is unusable.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:31:13 pm

Hi Shelly--

That is actually a limitation/idiosyncrasy of Final Cut Pro X. They do not make it very intuitive to export a multitrack QuickTime file. All the Exporter does is take the file and put an .mxf wrapper around it. In FCP 7 the audio setup is much easier and we are spared all the Role setup.

I have it working pretty solidly now and created a template with the roles renamed to 'mono track 2, mono track 3 etc'. Once that's out of the way the rest is pretty simple.

But I feel your pain...

Ian

Return to posts index

Shelley Moore
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:57:39 pm

Thanks Ian... I do realize that it is a quirk with FCPX, but are you telling me you've figured out a shortcut that would negate name each individual mono track? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Shelley Moore
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:58:22 pm

oops, "naming", not name.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:12:38 pm

if you save/edit the roles as 'mono 2', 'mono 3' etc you have meaningful names and it's a bit easier to do the mapping..

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:23:07 pm

We use the Content Browser (formerly xdcam viewer) only to confirm that we have transferred everything off cards on location, and then to log timecodes into a script for the edit.
Since we are on Windows and Premiere, we have no need to transcode anything.

I just setup the content browser on my new Windows 8 laptop, and was a bit peeved that I had to pay $19.99 for what used to be free software.

Other than that it seems to work ok. Actually the content browser no longer pops up asking if you REALLY want to change directories, which is nice. Obviously I would not be trying to change directories if I wasn't trying to change directories - so good improvement.

Still frame capture I also use which works as expected.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:38:02 pm

Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. Every little bit helps. We still have 1.1 available (no serial # req'd for base version) if you have additional seats that need Browser only for XDCAM or XDCAM EX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]