FORUMS: list search recent posts

Naming clips workflow- looking for advice

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Naming clips workflow- looking for advice
on Jun 15, 2013 at 4:41:23 pm

We've added the PMW-200 to our optical disk workflow, and I'm looking for advice on how to name the clips from this camera. We have 4 editors and 7 edit bays, and we refer back to the media throughout the year. Our workflow with the optical disk is this: after each shoot we rename the clips in Log and Transfer then import them into our Macs. Then, we're able to look at clips in the finder and search the clips by name. When clips are finally deleted for space, we can easily reload them later from the disk and everything easily relinks in Final Cut Pro.

For the PMW-200, we need to use Content Browser, which doesn't seem to allow us to rename clips. I'm wondering what EX-1orEX-3 users do for a workflow. Do you keep the camera names? If so, how do you track your media in the computer? It would seem to be very confusing to have thousands of clips with random camera names in the system. What I want to do is after we edit the initial project, we'll use Content Browser to copy the clips from the SxS cards to Optical Disk for archive and I'd like the clip names to stay the same. We could copy the clips before the edit from the SxS card with their camera names and then still use Log and Transfer to rename them. However, this takes away valuable time before the initial edit when our deadline is tightest. I'd like to rename, ingest, edit, then archive.

By the way, we're also transitioning this summer to Adobe Creative Cloud. I appreciate hearing what workflow others are using with these cameras to track their media.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Naming clips workflow- looking for advice
on Jun 17, 2013 at 9:33:12 am

Well Mitch, if you've seen the great videos on the EX cameras from Vortex Media, their Doug Jensen does his clip naming from the camera. He explains in great detail how he avoids any risk of duplicating clip ID's but they are file numbers. I dislike using file numbers and prefer to re name clips once they are imported (Media 100 in my case). However, if you are going to use computers to identify and find clips then file numbers will work even better than names. Presumably the PMW 200 has a file naming process similar to that of the EX's.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
Re: Naming clips workflow- looking for advice
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:39:32 pm

Well, we had our first real shoot yesterday and I think I have started to figure out our workflow. I used Content Browser to copy the clips to the optical disk, and then I was able to rename the clips on the disk inside Content Browser. Now, we'll import the clips off the disk the same as we did in the past and we still have an archive that we can refer to in the future. It's not as fast as just pulling the clips off the SxS card, but I feel better knowing the original media is always available in our library for years to come.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]