FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfer .mov's onto an xdcam

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawren Cody
Transfer .mov's onto an xdcam
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:36:18 pm

Hello all,

Right to it: I have a plethora of slr clips that are in .mov format, and was looking for a way to transfer them onto an xdcam disc.

The idea is to have all my slr clips on a disc, so that I can scroll through the footage on my deck and see the media, not just a file name.

I am using a Sony XDcam deck, model number PDW-HD1500, and when i put it into PC REMOTE mode, the disc shows up on the computer as a readable disc, one would think then, that I could drag and drop a clip onto the disk, but I am given an error about permissions. I then changed the permissions on the disk, and was given an error saying the service I was trying to use hasen't been set up, or some such thing.

So do I need to install some new software, or just click a box somewhere? Any advice is appreciated, and I am sorry, if I wasnt able to get accross my issue.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Transfer .mov's onto an xdcam
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:31:32 pm

there are some restrictions/protocols when copying to disc..

you can do one of the following:

-to archive them as data (won't play on the deck, will reside in a generic folder we use for non-xdcam files), copy them to the User Data folder of the disc.

-to archive them as XDCAM files that will play, generate thumbnails etc, you have to put them into an XDCAM format. you can use FCP or Avid to render/wrap to XDCAM if you need to. For FCP you need either Content Browser (FCP 7 or FCP X) or XDCAM Transfer (FCP 7) to re-wrap to .mxf.

it sounds like option 2 is what you need. from FCP 7 use the 'Export-->Sony Content Browser' or 'Export-->Sony XDCAM' menu items added by the above plugins. from FXP X you have to select Share-->Master File and make sure the 'open with' preferences are set to 'Content Browser Exporter'. from Avid or Vegas or Premiere CS5/6 you can export directly without plugins. bottom line is a re-render to an XDCAM codec if you want playable video.

note that you also need the PC Remote/FAM driver to properly manage XDCAM discs. http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads.

if you need help getting this done let me know or call our support team @ 800 883 6817

Return to posts index

Lawren Cody
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:40:06 pm

Okay, that makes sense.

The idea was to be able to get all these clips onto a disk without having to import them into Avid first (we're talking about 500 or so clips of varying size), but I guess there's no way around it.

Thanks for your quick reply Ian, and as a side note, I've posted a few questions to this site over the years, and am allways blown away by the promptness and usefullness of the replys. Best community on the internet by far.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:09:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words. A proper encoding platform like Episode could batch-convert them, at least. Avid and most NLEs will only do one at a time. Good luck and let me know if I or anyone on my side can assist as you sort this out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]