FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 suddenly no longer recording audio

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Riley McLaren
Sony EX1 suddenly no longer recording audio
on May 13, 2013 at 7:13:09 am

Good evening everyone.

On Friday, at 6:00, I was recording some videos and the audio was normal. I put the camera in my car, drove to dinner, ate some ribs, fish and steak. Drove to another place where I was planning to shoot some more footage.
However, now 8:00, absolutely no audio was being registered. Nothing from the external mic in CH-1 or CH-2. Nothing from the built in mic. I turned the audio levels, I flicked practically every switch and pushed every button but nothing worked.

I've tried with a different XLR cable and microphone, I've tried resetting the settings and I've tried yelling at the camera.

So the problem has been isolated to the camera, and since it's not in the depths of the settings, I'm fearing it's a hardware problem. But how could an innocent drive put a halt to any audio from being recorded?

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Sony EX1 suddenly no longer recording audio
on May 15, 2013 at 12:09:47 pm

I don't know, guessing here, maybe just bad luck? Or a bumb in the road, or maybe it was near a magnet or some kind of radiation....?

Return to posts index

Jacob Wallace
on May 16, 2013 at 4:59:10 pm

We have had a couple of EX1s go into the shop with this issue its either the audio board itself or the ribbon. Usually its from stress on the handle assembly. The ribbon that attaches the audio ... thing.. into the camera itself is in the perfect spot to get pinched and broken. We have had to send every one with this issue to Sony, our Engineering department wouldn't touch it.

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but sounds like the same issue we had. Good luck.

-Jacob

News Photographer / SNG

Return to posts index

Riley McLaren
on May 17, 2013 at 7:01:37 am

Thanks for that information. Do you know how much it costed for it to be repaired? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Morrison
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:15:52 am

The problem was the ribs....never eat ribs before handling your EX1....bad combination. ;)

Seriously, I'll ask the really stupid question, but could the tiny slide switches that route the audio have been bumped off of mic and into Line position? I'm hoping that it's something simple and you don't have to return it to Sony. Good luck.
dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]