FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM - UDF card backup

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael Valdeavellano
XDCAM - UDF card backup
on May 1, 2013 at 8:07:41 pm

Hello everybody,

We recently switched to XDCAM (bought a Sony PMW-200). I was doing some tests before we embarked on a trip, but being new to the workflow, hope you can help me with a couple of doubts I came across:

We would like to record at 50 Mbps, SxS cards formated as UDF. Since we will be abroad, will be bringing the following equipment for making backups of the cards:
MacBook Pro with express card slot (installed SxS Device Driver 1.05 and SxS UDF driver 2.1.1) - sees UDF content on the finder (osx 10.6.7)
2 external USB 2.0 hard drives (to make duplicate copies of each card)

QUESTION 1: Is it OK to backup each UDF card by just DRAGGING the contents from the finder onto each USB external drive? (I will not loose any data?)

I wouldn't have asked this question if, going one step further, I tried linking a 1.5 Gb UDF card that I shot for test purposes, into an Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 (via AMA) and everything is offline.

I shot another card as FAT, XDCAM 35, linked it via AMA to Avid, and everything is fine, I can see the footage.

QUESTION 2: Is the workflow for UDF into Avid MC different?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!
Rafael

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: XDCAM - UDF card backup
on May 1, 2013 at 8:27:09 pm

[Rafael Valdeavellano] "
QUESTION 1: Is it OK to backup each UDF card by just DRAGGING the contents from the finder onto each USB external drive? (I will not loose any data?)"

It is better to use Content Browser to perform verified backups.

[Rafael Valdeavellano] "QUESTION 2: Is the workflow for UDF into Avid MC different?"

You have an old version of Media Composer and while it may support the 50 Mb files it may not recognize an XDCAM optical disc file structure on an SxS card. Try doing a 'Link to Files' on the .mxfs in /CLIP instead of a Link to Volume on the whole card/archive

Return to posts index

Rafael Valdeavellano
on May 1, 2013 at 9:06:01 pm

Thanks for the prompt response Ian.

I just installed content browser. However, sometimes I am not going to be around to perform the backups so my DP is going to do it. And I had to do a whole schematic to show him how to do it from the finder, if I show him content browser I know he's going to freak out. Is doing it from the finder too much error prone?

I tried linking to AMA files, but the Avid gives me an error:
"There are no AMA media stream plugins that are eligible for AMA link to file"

I guess it is now time to do an Avid upgrade.

Best,
Rafael

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 2, 2013 at 4:33:48 pm

You can do it in Finder and in all probability you'll be fine, but I have to tell you that you are taking a bit of a risk doing unverified backups. It's very easy to do in CB.

-in Preferences-->EDIT set 'Priority in Move' to 'Date Protection' and, under 'Copy', check 'perform CRC check after copy.'

-when a card is mounted, control click on it and select Copy All

(or)

-drag thumbnails from the source (top explorer window) to any destination folder/drive (bottom explorer window)

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 2, 2013 at 4:55:50 pm

where is Craig S when we need him to drive home the point of doing verified copies?

Return to posts index

Rafael Valdeavellano
on May 2, 2013 at 9:32:41 pm

Thanks again Ian,

Very good point, I guess copy-paste can only help you so far, it's better to minimize the chain of errors.

Thanks for the tips, will have to dig into CB!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on May 5, 2013 at 7:24:22 am

I would advise USB 3 or TB drives.. USB2 is very slow with 50 mbps UDF files.. this will further upset your DP.. actually I think most DP,s do their own down loading unless there is a data wrangler .. very risky leaving it to directors :) .. only half joking..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]