FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PMW-200

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddy
Sony PMW-200
on Apr 20, 2013 at 5:45:46 pm

Hi Im working on a job next week with the Sony PMW-200 i dont have the card reader can i connect the camera to my mac book and take the footage from the card? Thanks Emmet

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Sony PMW-200
on Apr 20, 2013 at 10:46:10 pm

I do that all the time with my EX 1 which presumably works the same way. That's the only way I ever take the media off the cards, camera lead into the USB of my MacBook an straight on to an external drive, preferably twice to different drives to make sure. I don't have a reader at all.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:45:10 am

Cheers Michael, hopefully i should be ok, i asked camera man if there is usb output , still waiting on response from him, all the best Emmet

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 22, 2013 at 1:55:29 pm

Cam has USB 2.0 port and can be used as a card reader. If you shoot in 50 Mb UDF mode you will need the UDF file system driver:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

Return to posts index

Connie Simmons
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:16:56 pm

I just got off the phone with Sony to make sure I understood how we should copy the clips from the Sony PMW200 camera to our hard drives.

You will have to download the following software in the following sequence for it to all work properly. You may have already done this, but here it is:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Sony said that it is best to use this method to copy the footage so that you can have the software confirm the footage. DO NOT SIMPLY COPY THE CONTENTS OF THE CARD ONTO THE HARD DRIVE BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT KNOW IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DOWNLOAD. If you use this method, then when you see the thumbnails in the top window and the bottom window, and you can play back the clips from the bottom window then you will know that the clips have been properly copied.

1. You need to register for a FREE serial number, which you will use to download the CONTENT BROWSER, which is used with the UDF 422 mode (NOT the XDCAM Browser or XDCAM Clip Browser used with the EX-1 or 3). Apparently in 30 days you will receive a notice saying that your serial number has expired, but Sony said that is only for other peripheral things, not for the Content Browser, so don't worry and just ignore that notice.
Here is the address for the FREE serial number: https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/campaign/contentbrowser

2. You then need to go to the Sony XDCAM Download page, and download TWO separate things: 1) the Content Browser and 2)

SxS Card and iLink FAM Device Drivers (for either pc or mac). This includes the SXS driver and the SXS UDF driver Version 2.00 for MAc OSX. We will only record UDF 422, but we now have both. Once you are on the page that I refer to below, you have to click on Applications, Plugins and Device Drivers.

Address for XDCAM Download page for Sony PMW200 - http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

3. a. When you have the Sony reader hooked up to the computer, a large dark window opens, with the card reader on the top.

b. In the BOTTOM Browser window, you will need to create a folder in which to copy the contents of the card. You click on the destination drive, then click the little folder+ button. If you have not specified a drive, the little folder+ button is greyed out. Our folders will be on the external hard drive, and I named mine XDCAM UDF Folders. I will create a new folder for each card and the date of our shoot. If the reader sees the shots, you will see thumbnails in the top window. (Good sign!)

You then highlight the clips in the top window and then drag the clips down to the bottom window, and you will see a prompt window asking if you should copy the clip. Yes. I just copied 3 clips, 35 minutes, 90 minutes and 2 minutes - in 12 minutes. Seems too fast - I'm not complaining, but I will recheck this.

4. When you have checked everything, and we have exchanged cards so that we have a back up, we will need to delete the clips from the cards. Sony said to delete the clips from the TOP Browser window, which of course deletes it from the card. When you reinsert the Card into the camera, the camera DOES NOT NEED to reformat the card, it just starts recording. Sony said that will prolong the life of the media.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Neil Hynes
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:21:22 am

Connie
Thanks a lot for that write-up
Very informing and at the same time surprising!
Surprising that you need to do all that to capture
your footage; what about simply plugging in the usb,
dragging the folders to your external hard drive
and away you go !?? Is there a problem with that
because that's what I've been doing! And that
involves none of the steps you were advised on
that came from Sony. Im gonna follow your way though!
Thanks again
Neil

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:48:41 pm

[Neil Hynes] "what about simply plugging in the usb, dragging the folders to your external hard drive and away you go !?? Is there a problem with that because that's what I've been doing!"

The difference is that the drag-drop method is just a simple copy from A to B without any error checking to make sure that everything is copied correctly. With the Content Browser method you can choose to have error checking active. The program will alert you to any discrepancies whereas copying at the FInder level will not. Your choice.

What Sony also doesn't elaborate on are the differences between SxS Pro Memory and SxS-1 memory. They both will record just fine except the dash one memory is good for 10,000 cycles and the Pro version is good for 10 times that amount. If interested there's more info on this here:

http://reeltimevideoworks.com/blog/solid-state-or-flash-memory/

and here:

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/SLC_vs_MLC%20whitepaper.pdf

Cheers,

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved