FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 - Exposing In The Sunlight

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Stoll
EX1 - Exposing In The Sunlight
on Mar 22, 2013 at 11:01:07 pm

I'm looking at some recent footage I shot in direct sunlight on the EX1R, and most of it has this ugly grey hue. Looks a little underexposed, but there's still lots of blown out background. I shoot with cine gamma 1 on days like these, and keep the matrix on cinema. Any tips on exposure/profile pictures on bright sunny days? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: EX1 - Exposing In The Sunlight
on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:51:40 pm

Presumably you had the two ND's filters on which should enable you to set mid range f stop. You also should have had the lens hood in place. Depending on how bright the sun was you could also increase your shutter speed which might also help with the exposure. What may have happened with your footage was that the light was so bright that your f stop had to be high, say f16, at which setting the pictures are rarely satisfactory.

Sorry if I'm giving you basic information but you don't give us much to go on.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Erick Stoll
Re: EX1 - Exposing In The Sunlight
on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:21:37 pm

Sorry if I was vague--I was just wondering what tips people had for shooting and exposing in direct sunlight. I've got no problem using nds and iris to get a decently exposed image, but the disparity between shadow and highlight is so great that if I stop down to keep highlights from blowing out, I find the rest of the image has an ugly, greyish look to it that grading can't really solve. I know there's only so much you can do with 10 or 11 stops of latitude, but I was just hoping some EX-geniuses in here had any good strategies. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]