FORUMS: list search recent posts

Operation can't be completed because item "BPAV" is in use

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry O'Brien
Operation can't be completed because item "BPAV" is in use
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:13:31 pm

I finished shooting today with my Sony EX-1. Go to transfer BPAV file to my external LaCie Drive. Copying begins. Thirty seconds later it stops and window opens with this announcement: "Operation can't be completed because item "BPAV" is in use."

Ran disk utilities on the LaCie drive. Tried a 2nd MacPro Laptop to plug the standard Sony SXS 16Gb card into - a card I have used for years.

The card plays back in the camera just fine.

Never had this happen before.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
Re: Operation can't be completed because item "BPAV" is in use
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:30:55 pm

All you have to do is ask for help! I took everything apart. Turned everything off, and started again. Transferred fine. Go figure. Thank you all.

What would cause that?

Barry

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:50:25 pm

Juat when you think everything's fine... The video was half-transferred when I got a new message: The operation can't be completed because the item "YMCA0017_01.MP4" is in use.

So it seems to be saying is that it thinks that a clip I shot today, within the data I am transferring is in use.

How can that be?

Anyway, the transfer stopped, and I am back to Square 1.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:39:28 am

I'm kind of talking to muself, here, but maybe this will happen to somebody else, and this might be helpful.

So next, I created a folder on my desktop and copied that BPAV folder to the desktop folder. That went fast and easy.

I did it twice,, in fact.

So it's something with that external Lacie that it creating these "in use, can't copy" announcements.

Maybe time for a new backup drive?

I'd love to hear anyone's theory, but in the meantime, I have a work around.

Barry

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:21:20 am

Corrupt hard drive or the card finally crapped out. How full is the hard drive. For some reason when you copy BPAV folders, the system needs twice as much space as you're copying. So if the card is 16GB and is full, you need a minimum of 32GB of free space to copy.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:37:33 am

That's good information. Thank you.

In this case the drive is pretty empty: 413 GB left on a 499 GB LaCie External hard drive.

Here is what I discovered last night. Just for the hell of it, I created two folders on the desktop of my MacBook Pro, and copied that BPAV folder twice, one to each of the desktop folders.

I went smoothly, no problems and I'll know later today if the copies are fine.

It seems perhaps to be something with that drive, or the way that drive sees the BPAV folder?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:19:20 am

Barry, we've enjoyed your personal conversation, actually, it is always helpful to read a person's thought processes since we might ourselves encounter similar problems. Actually I often transfer a BPAV folder direct to the laptop's drive before then putting it on to an external drive, I forget that the new folder is not yet on the drive! I go right from the camera via the supplied connection, a bit laborious but I'm rarely in a hurry. Will you let us know what you discover about your Lacie drive?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 14, 2013 at 11:58:56 am

I will happily tell you what I find out about the LaCie Drive. I have really benefited from individuals on the forums at Creative Cow over the years who have saved me when I was having real problems.

Here's what I will try today:
1.) Transferring the files I have in my two desktop folders to my current external "editing" hard drive.
2.) I'll also try to transfer directly from the Sony SXS XDCAM card to my current external "editing" hard drive. If that works, it would seems to me to say that the problem lays with the LaCie "back-up" drive.

More reports later today. Thank you.

Barry

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:08:30 pm

I transferred the BPAV folder from my desktop of my laptop to another external LaCie Drive. It copied perfectly and quickly.

I backed up the suspect location drive, and was able to take all the media off it. (Phew!)

My conclusion: the location drive was developing some kind of read/write problem.

I was reminded as I did this back-up today of another drive that I have used as a Location Back-up drive, and how on one job it didn't copy the BPAV folder on the first try and that I have rebooted the computer (twice I think) and it finally took the media.

Any how I had ignored that warning...

And how that location drive failed a month later, and I lost a very important shoot.

I think what I learned from this is - hard drive are cheap - if something suspicious happens during read/write - retire the drive.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Case closed.

Regards,

Barry

Return to posts index

Ashley Terry
on Jul 19, 2013 at 3:07:48 pm

Uh, oh, I don't like that last reply one bit. I searched this forum because my BRAND NEW Seagate drive is having this issue. It's definitely not time to retire it, I hope. Were you using the faulty external as a time-machine back-up as well? Because right now, that's the only thing distinguishing this external that's giving problems from all my other that haven't. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]