FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why no export options in Sony Content Browser?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Foreman
Why no export options in Sony Content Browser?
on Mar 9, 2013 at 6:13:01 pm

Anyone with knowledge of the new Sony Content Browser, can you help me understand why the multitude of export options are not active in version 2.1?

Need desperately to export these files to something usable.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Why no export options in Sony Content Browser?
on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:50:30 pm

The export options in Content Browser work the same way they did in previous versions (including XDCAM Browser and EX Clip Browser), which is to say that most of them apply only to XDCAM EX and are there to provide an easy means to upconvert/cross convert to XDCAM HD. Likewise the h.264 options only work with EX. See the below table from the help:

If you shot EX or optical/UDF XDCAM you can probably bring it into your editor natively. Below is a rough breakdown of what's supported in most of the major NLEs:

Avid Media Composer/Symphony 6/6.5: Natively supports EX, XDCAM, AVCHD, 2k XAVC and 4K Raw (requires the appropriate AMA plugin available from the Avid or Sony download site)

Premiere Pro CS6: Natively supports EX, XDCAM and AVCHD using File-->Import or (preferred) the PPro Media Browser. 4k Raw is supported via the free Sony PLAD-RW1 plugin. Rovi/Main Concept Total Code plugin adds support for XAVC.

Final Cut Pro 7: Natively supports EX and XDCAM codecs, requires re-wrap to .mov using Content Browser or XDCAM Transfer. AVCHD is supported natively though FCP 7 forces a conversion to ProRes upon ingest through Log and Transfer.

Final Cut Pro X: Natively supports EX and XDCAM codecs, requires re-wrap to .mov using Content Browser or the free 'Import Media' plugin (enables built in-support for .mp4 and .mxf import using the Import Media tool). AVCHD is natively supported and can be imported with or without a transcode using the Import Media tool.

Edius 6.5: Natively supports EX, XDCAM, AVCHD with no conversion or rewrapping. XAVC and 4k support is planned. XAVC and 4k files can be converted using Resolve, Express Dailies or a supporting NLE.

Vegas Pro 12: Natively supports EX, XDCAM, AVCHD, 4k and HD XAVC. Import using the XDCAM Explorer, the Device Explorer (for AVCHD) or via file-->Import.

Hope this helps..

Return to posts index

Jacob Schiotz
on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:46:22 pm

I shot xdcam hd 422 on a pmw-200 and I cannot export clips from content browser, or import them into avid MC 5.0 on windows system... In CB, all the export options are greyed out - except for windows media file and video hosting service. If I try to import into avid, it says the file is not supported for import. If I try to link to AMA volume, it fails to link files and tells me to check console window or log file for more information. If I link to AMA files, the clip does show up in the bin, but as soon as I click on it, avid crashes... Any advice??

Return to posts index

Scott Foreman
on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:59:51 pm

I know it's frustrating.

Get FCPX and transcode to ProRes, or get DaVinci Resolve Lite and do the same.

NOTE: Davinci Resolve Lite is NOT intuitive, at all.

Make sure your project settings align with your frame rate BEFORE doing anything else.

Also, make sure to check the "export as individual clips" box, as well as the "render audio" box.

Enjoy.

Return to posts index

Jacob Schiotz
on Sep 15, 2013 at 2:38:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions... I've dl'd a trial version of premiere pro and using that to do my conversion - loosing a bit of quality, but I need to move on.

I know my version of avid is getting on a bit, but I edit p2, red and dslr without any problems. I really like sony's cameras, but I've always had issues with xdcam workflow... is it just me?

Anyway, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:13:18 pm

The Export options in Browser are mostly for XDCAM EX clips..

You do not need to convert for Avid. Make sure you have the UDF Driver and the appropriate AMA plug-in for your version installed. You can link to files (make sure you select Sony XDCAM in the file list-- do not leave it set to ALL or it may not work) or link to a volume/folder. If it's not working with the correct plugins installed something is wrong, as this workflow has existed and been stable for some time. It would be good to check Console after a failed link and see what it tells you. If it's trying to use the wrong AMA plugin, for example, this will be pretty clear.

Plugins for older versions of Media Composer can be found at http://www.sony.com/xdcam-downloads

The latest UDF driver is at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

Return to posts index

Jacob Schiotz
on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:18:36 pm

Thanks Ian, I followed that advice from earlier posts you made, without any luck and I think I may have a problem with my avid... Premiere has imported the footage without any problems though and I will edit this project there - footage looks great btw.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]