FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast Specs for EX and related.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Tundis
Broadcast Specs for EX and related.
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:24:43 pm

Hello,

My production company is currently gearing up to begin shooting a rugged outdoor type reality show. I was curious to know how broadcast companys handle the XDcam format. I have herd that some companys are okay with the compression of this codec, while others are not. I am looking for any advice or literature featuring what kinds of compression are accepted and which ones will be best for broadcast.

The Camera:
Sony F3
Sony FS-100
Sony EX3
Canon 7D
GoPro(s)

The Canon 7D and GoPro(s) camera are going to be used for flavor and secondary work. Our top three camera will be the F3, FS100 and EX3.

These are all cameras we own in shop, so being able to use them on this kind of a low budget proposal process would really help us save some buck for other places in the production. We are thinking of shopping this finished piece to places like Discovery, PBS and the History Channel.

Thank you in advance,
Dan Tundis
Camera Operator and Editor.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Broadcast Specs for EX and related.
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:17:22 pm

The XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX codecs are widely used in Broadcast/ENG and most networks will accept an XDCAM deliverable. They may want the EX files QT-wrapped but the optical files can usually be delivered in their original .mxf format

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Broadcast Specs for EX and related.
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:01:44 pm

The networks have their own requirements. I would check with them.
Some networks (Nat Geo) will not accept 4:2:0 footage and anything below 50Mbs and some will.

This might be helpful:
http://eyefish.tv/production-guide/high-definition-production/broadcasters-...

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]