FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nothing but static on input 1 XLR (Phantom power)...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Mullins
Nothing but static on input 1 XLR (Phantom power)...
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:06:37 am

I had the wonderous joy of some yobbo putting his mouth around the short Sony Shotgun mic on board the Sony EX3 on Saturday - yes, these types of people are out their folks and still breeding unfortunately!!! My client is a boxer, so I may see some sort of reimbursement after he has a 'polite' word re the damage caused!

Ill have to double check the footage to see when the static started, before or after this incident to confirm it is him-at least I've caught him on camera. Anyhoo, enough with the drama show...on with some tech advice...

Just wondered if there is anything I can do to fix the static?
It's only on input 1, powered mics work on input 1 (ie Rode NTG2 with AA battery on 'mic'), along with the Sen. Wireless mic receiver.
With no mic fixed to input 1, when switching to 'phantom power 48', you here the static - so there must of been some sort of short circuit, or liquid get into it to stop the power getting thru?

Input 2 is all ok and the phantom power works...

Any idea how much this would cost to repair in the UK? Any simple solution, ie unscrew something and blow on it / hit it with a hammer!? At least I can carry on as input 2 still works with the handy short shotgun mic.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
Re: Nothing but static on input 1 XLR (Phantom power)...
on Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58:40 am

Maybe it's my english but I don't understand it completely. Someone put his mouth around the mic and the camera itself is 'broken'?

Return to posts index

Steve Mullins
on Mar 5, 2013 at 10:52:32 am

Yes - or there may have been some spilt drink that got in (happened in nightclub).

Essentially, when the phantom power is switched on on input 1, there's nothing but static / white noise. Everything else still works ok.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:42:08 pm

Contact Macie Video in MA (781) 326-3135.

Similar issue with my EX1 at a pool, one drop of water is a mic killer. SONY's flat rate starts at $800. Macie will diagnose and repair not simply replace boards. Not a real deal for me as I always use external mics.

Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Mullins
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:51:49 pm

Thanks but need uk repair places. I guess around the £300-£400 to repair going buy your contact.

Return to posts index

Steve Mullins
on Mar 5, 2013 at 1:47:54 pm

well having reviewed the footage, I will let the guy off - I think I or someone else accidentally spilt a bit of liquid / drink on the camera - I do remember some liquid around the lens cannon.

So just some water damage.

Also, whats best for cleaning the lens on the ex3 and are there lens covers I could use? I do a fair amount of nightclub videography, so hopefully something out their that wont reduce the light sensitivity.

Return to posts index

Jw van der Vlies
on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:52:22 am

In nightclubs I always film with rain cover. That's a pain of course but when you undo the cover at the end of the assignment its sticky, smelly and wet so always bring protection when entering the nightclub :-)

You can use an UV filter or just some screw on protector, but it always makes it a little bit softer, and you'll have lens reflections with all the disco lights in the camera so it protects your lens but does not make your picture better.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:06:42 pm

Steve. The best Sony people I know are Top-Teks, out at Harefield, near Uxbridge. I get all my gear there and they have an excellent engineer on site, check first that he's actually there. They also do firmware updates to EX's as well as repairs. I've had water damage repaired there in the past, on a ZI which got splashed by seawater.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]