FORUMS: list search recent posts

Content Browser 2.0 vs 1.0, change in distribution policy

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cook
Content Browser 2.0 vs 1.0, change in distribution policy
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:32:18 pm

With the release of Content Browser 2.0 and the F5/F55 cameras, Sony is changing its software distribution policy. This has caused a bit of confusion, which I hope to address here. We’ve also tweaked this new distribution model to make the process a bit easier for our users.

Browser 2.0 includes XAVC and AVCHD support and requires a serial number to install. The serial number is included free of charge with all F5 and F55 cameras and will also be included with future shipments of other PMW/PDW products. This will cover the majority of users.

Of course there are still users who will need the application and don’t own an F5, F55, or else they have an XDCAM that they purchased before the new distribution model went into effect. For those users we have the following options:

1. Content Browser 1.1 will remain available on the Sony sites until June.
It requires no serial # to install the base application. The add-ons (XDCAM Advanced Feature Pack; AVCHD plug-in; Main Concept Encoder) remain charge-able but the basic features the vast majority of users need (preview, log, archive etc) are part of the main application and will remain free.

The major substantive difference between Content Browser 2.0 and 1.1 is that 2.0 supports the new XAVC codec used on the F5/F55. For XDCAM users, no functionality is lost by going with v 1.1.

The other difference between versions 1.1/2.0 is in how the AVCHD plugin is handled. In v 1.1, it is a 20.00 add-on. In v 2.0, the serial number activates both XAVC support and AVCHD support.

2. From March until June we will make Content Browser 2.0 available without an in-the-box serial number and free of charge. If you go to http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/campaign/contentbrowser you can put in your email address and have a serial # sent to you. This is not a trial version of the application. It’s the full, non-expiring version with XAVC and AVCHD support. The only difference is that we are providing the serial numbers via a free download.

After June, both 1.1 and the serial # promotion page will be taken down and we will only be offering Content Browser 2.0.

3. By June there will be a mechanism in place to purchase a serial number for 20.00 if, for whatever reason, the user requires one and does not have a current camera, didn't know about the grace period/promotion, or can;t use the legacy applications.

XDCAM Transfer and the Log and Transfer plugin for EX will remain available in the ‘Legacy Applications’ area of the XDCAM download site. Note that, as with PDZ-1, XDCAM Viewer and XDCAM EX Clip Browser these are discontinued, use-at-your-own-risk applications. There will be no further development on any of them as most of their features are being consolidated into Content Browser. Transfer 2.13, which we will hate to see go, is qualified through Lion. PDZ-1 and the XDCAM MXF Viewer are qualified through Win 7 (32/64 bit). We will happily provide operational and basic technical support on these applications but please understand that there is little we can do is they won’t install or otherwise have system-level issues.

Thanks for the continued support. I know this is a significant change in our policy but I and my colleagues have fought very hard to make it as painless as possible for our existing users.

Hope to see some of you at NAB 2013. If you're anywhere near the F5/55 workflow area, drop by and say hello.

Cheers,

Ian

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Content Browser 2.0 vs 1.0, change in distribution policy
on Mar 1, 2013 at 11:55:32 pm

Are there limits to the activation?
For example:
Can I have two (or more) simultaneously activated computers?
Otherwise can I deactivate on one computer and subsequently activate on another?

If a client wants the camera masters (and they aren't always post houses) would their only option be to purchase Content Browser?

Will import plugins remain available and free for FCPX and Avid AMA (and FCP7) ?

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Mar 2, 2013 at 4:08:46 pm

To answer some of your questions, I emailed for a serial number and
having 3 computers(a MacBook Pro, desktop PC, Sony PC laptop)....they all took the same serial number and I now I have ver 2.0 on all 3 of the computers that I use to off load the XDCAM EX files.

I was surprised that it allowed me to do that.....hope this helps.

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 2, 2013 at 4:34:38 pm

That's actually very important.
It means a facility that gets one camera can be covered.

What happens if you rent though?

Granted the costs are small but some will grouse if they are not camera owners. Renters, clients that want to screen the master files and such may not be too pleased. At the very least Sony might want to consider a simple free players. Something that just plays and displays timecode with maybe an inapp purchase to unlock the advanced management features.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 3:46:48 pm

I understand that it is important, which is why we at least have a grace period. Renters and quick-hit users are the first ones I thought of when Japan told us about the new policy. The 3 month grace period was something I suggested when it became clear that the serial # requirement was inflexible. I also suggested a simple player module, or basic play/copy functionality in the base app with no serial #. These are probably not going to happen. After June we'll do our best to support everyone by whatever means necessary but some users are going to end up having to download a serial #.

Return to posts index

Steve Eagleton
on Sep 2, 2014 at 11:46:23 pm

Sorry, guess I have to grouse about it. It's pretty bogus to make non-owners (of the camera) pay to browse content from our DP's that we hire for projects.
I know it's only $20 but just the same it's lame. Our regular DP (we have to use freelance crews for our projects) just got the camera and maybe will give up his serial but doesn't really want to.
Will find away around this but very disappointing move by Sony!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:59:31 pm

Can I have two (or more) simultaneously activated computers

-Sorting this out now.

If a client wants the camera masters (and they aren't always post houses) would their only option be to purchase Content Browser?

Until June we will have the free serial # download active on the site. Also V 1.1 will be available with no serial # requirement. I'm hoping we can keep an older version with no serial # requirement on our site or at least on my FTP. If not, and all other options are exhausted, yes, V2 will require a chargeable serial number.

I can't make the serial # requirement go away but am fully aware that there are going to be plenty of instances where people need V2 and did not recently purchase a camera. This is why we fought for every other option we could think of to make it a little easier-- the 3 month free download, site licenses for multi-seat requirements, multiple activations (still working on this part) etc.

Will import plugins remain available and free for FCPX and Avid AMA (and FCP7) ?

Yes, all the plugins will remain free. It's only the Browser software that will require a serial # to cover licensing fees.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:28:49 pm

Ian, I've downloaded the ContentBrowser 1.1 and it says that this is a Free Trial expiring in 3 months. Does this mean that it will stop working in three months if I don't pay? Or, is this the 'window' allowed by Sony to download free and it will remain operational to us after the expiry of 3 months?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:29:47 pm

where are you seeing the three month warning, on the download page or presented by the installer?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:59:25 pm

Ian, it comes up as a separate window after I installed the software and opened it. By the way, I'm trying to figure out the windows and how to see my clips, select and trim and import, just as we did with Transfer, it's very different, is there a manual somewhere, can't see it on the download.

Also Ian, just to be clear, your posts haven't quite said that we can see clips from the BPAV folders that have been TRANSFERRED TO DRIVES. I'm sure that's so but can you confirm that?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:03:09 pm

There is a help file that walks you through the operations. Each BPAV should be in its own folder. When you click on it it will get ID'd as an EX archive and get a little 'EX' overlay on the folder icon. Highlight your clips and right click-->Send to FCP.

I'll post an update re the 3 month grace period shortly..

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:36:51 pm

Ian, I've only got a Content Browser v1_1 dmg and two ReadMe Texts, E & J. Also the darn app won't even open anymore so I can't tell you what I see! Content Exporter also came in, what the heck is that? Might hav to try again.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:42:34 pm

if you launch 2.0 and go to the help menu there's a compiled HTML file with updated 2.0 documentation.

you can download a .pdf of the ops manual/help at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/contentbrowser

if it's not launching, first try removing/reinstalling.. it should install fine on Lion/Mountain Lion

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:57:51 pm

There is a help file that walks you through the operations. Each BPAV should be in its own folder. When you click on it it will get ID'd as an EX archive and get a little 'EX' overlay on the folder icon. Highlight your clips and right click-->Send to FCP.

The license emailed to you from the SCS site should be a standard non-expiring license. I just double checked and I got no 3 month warning and the license looks normal in the 'About' menu.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:30:49 pm

Sorry to be a pain Ian. I've managed to open the app by opening various windows. I can see my BPAV folder om my drive in the left hand side of the Explorer window. However, even with Live Logging, Preview and XDCAM Station Remote all open I can't get any response regarding the BPAV file.

I don't edit in FCP by the way, I prefer the wonderful Media 100. That needs QT.mov files for import, will I get those when I finally figure this thing out?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:05:21 pm

Ok, it sounds like you closed the app earlier by closing individual windows.

BPAV needs to be in a separate folder (since all card archives are labeled BPAV). If you put BPAV into a folder called 'card 1' and then click on 'card 1 in the Explorer window, you should see your files, provided the files/directories have not been modified.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:59:56 pm

Hi Ian

How recent does the camera purchase need to be.. for a valid serial number..?

Thanks

Robin

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:14:15 pm

PMW cameras shipping from March onwards will have a serial # in the box.

Fom March to June you can download a free serial # (with, I believe, at least two activations) at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/campaign/contentbrowser

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:59:37 pm

Thanks Ian

Basic operation is the same as V1 I hear..but aded the F5/55 codec,s ?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:12:16 pm

correct, no difference in functionality outside the XAVC support

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:19:36 am

Ok thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 9, 2013 at 4:50:39 am

I applied for one of the free serial numbers but I never received an email containing the number. No email of any kind, actually. That was about 3 days ago.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:19:21 pm

I haven't seen any situation where the email with the serial # was not received more or less instantly upon registering. If you haven't received it yet you probably aren't going to. I'd email the web team; they can verify your email and re-send the key if necessary.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:43:45 pm

Thanks for the response, Ian. I ended up trying with 2 different email addys of mine but no joy on either. Can you point me to a page that has your web dept's email addy? I did try connecting to a link on the page you provided but was taken to a page asks one to fill out a rather lengthy form before a question can be submitted:

https://www.custcenter.com/app/ask

Seems like a bunch of hoops to jump through that aren't really necessary just to get a free serial #.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:57:42 pm

No, I have to ask you to go through the site. They will respond. I just tried again from a new gmail address and I am getting responses and serials. Make sure they're not ending up in your Spam folder.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 12, 2013 at 11:48:33 pm

Ian, some sort of miracle just happened. I tried again with yet another one of my email addresses, this time with my company one. The returning email from Sony showed up faster than you can say: "Okay, so where's my serial number this time?"

Thanks again for your response. There'll be a little extra something in your stocking this xmas and it won't be a lump of coal.

Cheers,

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Mar 13, 2013 at 1:45:40 pm

lol, glad it worked out..

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:58:14 pm

I got my serial number, but I did have to check my spam catcher. It was nearly immediate.

Thanks for your work on this, Ian.

Cf

Return to posts index

Jamison Koczan
on Jun 29, 2015 at 6:39:38 pm

I don't see where you can get that free serial number. Any help?

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:05:13 pm

So, just downloaded latest CB, and it seems to work on my mac pro 10.6.8, though CB says for lion onward...am I missing something that it can't do on Snow Leopard? Seems to work great re: reading EX1R files and importing into FCP 7 as mov files.

And hope to soon get SONY FS700, can I use Content Browser to import the AVCHD footage into FCP 7? How?

Thanks

K
http://www.effective-video.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 30, 2015 at 9:29:01 am

Much as I appreciate Sony's updating I'm still working with the original Transfer app. that I got when I started with the EX 1 camera. I just use it for viewing, trimming and importing clips, it seems perfect for what I want. Can anyone tell me why I won't be able to continue, I'm on OS Mountain Lion?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alex Holden
on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:21:27 am

Hi Ian,
I hope you can help me, I work for an Indie and we are using the F55 shooting with the XAVC 100Mbps codec. I used the link posted above to get a serial and installed Content Browser on my MacBookPro.

You mention in point 2. above that
"This is not a trial version of the application. It’s the full, non-expiring version with XAVC and AVCHD support. The only difference is that we are providing the serial numbers via a free download."
however when i click 'Content Browser' - 'About Content Browser' i get a box which tells me my version 2.0 has a standard pack with the serial i was sent by Sony but my 'Advanced Pack will expire soon'.

Please could you explain what functionality i will loose when this expires? I am currently only using the software on location to review rushes which i have backed up. Will i still be able to use this software to view XAVC codec rushes?

Thanks very much for your help.

Alex

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:18:56 pm

the expiring part is the demo version of the XDCAM Advanced Pack feature set which provides advanced XDCAM logging/metadata control. the base application including all of the XAVC features (and 99% of the application's total functionality) will not ever expire.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Hamilton
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:05:57 pm

Hi Ian,
First time (I think anyway) posting on this much venerated forum.
I bought a Sony PMW-200 last January. I have a serial number of course. Will this allow me to get the new Content Browser 2?
(I'm getting by fine with v1.1 but I'm planning ahead.
Thanks,
Malcolm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:09:17 pm

Hi Malcolm-- there is a separate serial # for CB in with the rest of the supplied documentation. It's on an 8x11 sheet with a bar code and says 'Serial # for Content Browser." Use this, not the camera serial.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Hamilton
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:31:06 pm

Thanks for this Ian, but I long ago (space restrictions) got rid of shipping box, packing material, etc.
I'm afraid I was so excited to unpack the camera, I didn't read all the accompanying notes and papers!
Is there some way I can retrieve the Content Browser serial number? I'm still in touch with the Sony distributor that sold me the gear.
Thanks,
Malcolm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:54:08 pm

I hate to tell you this, but no, you will probably have to purchase one if you threw away the serial

Return to posts index

Malcolm Hamilton
on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:19:58 pm

O.K., well, that'll teach me.
Thanks for your help with this,
Malcolm

Return to posts index

Dan Wastl
on Nov 8, 2013 at 10:56:43 am

Hi Ian,

do I have to purchase 3 licenses when i need content browser on 3 different macbooks? Or can I use one license on all 3?

Thanks,

Dan

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:47:04 pm

While we give you two activations per license it is best to have one copy per seat. You can't run multiple instances of a license on the same network simultaneously.

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:05:54 am

So what do you do if the software stops working and then when repair it, it comes up with this message?

Only the hardware hasn't changed and all that happened was the software stop launching and I don't have the serial number on me..

I have dozens of pieces of software, many licensed in the same way and none of them delete their activation just because I re-install over the top of the original. If you are going to use software activation the program should remember the already entered serial number.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 24, 2014 at 3:15:07 pm

You will need to re-enter the serial #. Older builds of 2.x would occasionally require the serial to be re-entered if there was a change to the network settings on the machine. This is no longer the case with v2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]