FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Information: Proper setting of EX-3 Viewfinder controls

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Griffin
Need Information: Proper setting of EX-3 Viewfinder controls
on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:37:20 pm

Hello all,

In the past, I have had producers call me to say that some of my shots were "over-exposed somewhat", so I try to adjust the contrast/bright controls on the camera to what I think looks, the best and sometimes I am off a little...so the question is:

Just how do you set the contrast/bright control for a proper picture on the Sony EX3?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
http://www.dallascamguy.com
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Need Information: Proper setting of EX-3 Viewfinder controls
on Feb 27, 2013 at 3:50:14 pm

You should use the histogram to help with your exposure.You would calibrate this LCD the same as any field monitor using the bars to set brightness and contrast.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:03:09 pm

OK cool, but I do alot of news shooting...so I need to set the viewfinder, which is the most important thing...
thanks

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:02:56 pm

For News I would think getting the content as it unfolds is paramount, and one way to insure this is to allow the camera to expose for you by setting the exposure to auto. However if you are working in a controlled environment you can first take the time to calibrate your LCD viewfinder and use the Histogram to help you expose manually. You can switch from auto exposure to see what the camera is exposing as another aid in your decision. You can also set the Zebras to 95-100 and if they start to appear you will know that these areas are about to clip. Watch that link and try calibrating the viewfinder and only crank up the brightness if you need to see dark edges of the frame, but don't use the viewfinder for setting the aperture.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Feb 28, 2013 at 12:58:33 am

Thanks anyway..but not the answer I am looking for.

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:09:13 am

Bill it is the answer to your question, don't use the viewfinder LCD to set your exposure, this isn't a handycam.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:16:31 am

Bill
I would question.. dont use your viewfinder to set aperture.. its the main thing I would use.. editors or studio guys might not see it that way ..
Set the brightness as in the video on the bars in your VF.. so you can just see the right hand bar of those 3 bottom right.. contrast I set by eye.. usually around the middle.. as long as its not way off either way is fine.. never use auto iris to shoot with.. as you know Im sure..
Is it a new camera for you.. I think basically you get used to your own camera,s VF.. and what looks right .. another reason rental is a pain.. clapped out or un known VF,s..

This is in doc or in your case news mode.. studio /drama different ..

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:49:59 pm

thats what I was looking for..thanks

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:59:28 pm

Hi Bill,

In addition to what the others have said, I keep a spare card which contains a variety of footage I know is exactly spot-on exposure-wise in the camera bag (it's just an SD card in an adapter, but it works). I regularly play this through the EX3 and make any adjustments necessary to the viewfinder controls. I keep my viewfinder controls taped up so they can't accidentally get twiddled. I find this 'calibration footage' really helpful - probably not very scientific, but it works for me.

Martin Phillips Freelance Cameraman / Producer / Editor
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, UK. http://www.videodvdmaker.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:13:55 pm

Its really obvious that many people here on this forum don't use two of the tools (Zebras and Histogram) on their camera to aid in choosing exposure. Many here don't realize the LCD monitor/ viewfinder is just that, a monitor, and if it is not calibrated correctly it will give a false sense of accuracy. Its really to bad these LCD's don't have a waveform option because this tool would be much easier for a logical minded person to understand and use but they don't, and even if they did it seems no one here would use it either. However once you understand a histogram you won't trust anything else.

One last thing, auto iris is used all the time by semiprofessionals and true professionals who make a living shooting because either they have limited camera operating experience or they just want to use the built in light meter to aid in their exposure decision.
Zebras..........Histogram..........Auto Iris

These are tools found on your camera people, use them, I guaranty you will make better exposure decision.

I really think I'm done trying to help people here.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bill Griffin
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:00:00 pm

OK thanks for your help....

Bill Griffin
HD Cameraman
972-475-6870
Dallas, Texas USA

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:44:41 pm

Yeah I think using auto iris just to see what the camera is telling you can be a good tool is making your own judgment.. but to shoot with auto iris as a professional camera person is going to give you a very short career :)

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:06:49 pm

As has been said, Zebra is a great and easy way to judge exposure. I shoot docs in a hurry and have learnt to rely on my screen but I'm always checking in auto just to see what the camera is saying and it's rarely much different to my own eye, assisted by Zebra.

The main drawback in using auto for a shot is that if you change your framing the exposure changes and 'hunts' for a new one, rather like auto focus does. Don't condemn it out of hand though, if you're in a tight spot I'll use anything to get the shot!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:26:21 pm

Personally I dont use zebra,s .. I dont like them in the VF.. but of course for those who do Im sure it works fine.But only as a guide .. then make your own judgment .. dont be ruled by read outs.. often you have to pull stop within a shot.. something looks better silhouette or blown out..
But TBH I,d never advise anyone to shoot auto iris.. even a total beginner ..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]