FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted EX-3 Data --- Any advice on who to see in NYC?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Klonsky
Corrupted EX-3 Data --- Any advice on who to see in NYC?
on Feb 21, 2013 at 8:26:14 pm

Hello all,

I've spent hours learning on Creative Cow -- for the first (and hopefully last) time I have an issue specific to my own case and would like to see if anybody has some advice:

We've been shooting a show and compiled about 2.5 TB worth of data over the course of a month and a half -- shooting on Sony EX-3 and some footage on the Canon 5D. In the field, we transfer data from the camera cards to smaller drives and spot check them on site. Then we transfer that data over to larger 4tb drives which live in a production office and recently, we uploaded the footage to a unity where it is being transcoded and binned into avid projects for editing. While we were organizing the footage on the 4TB drives to upload onto the Unity, we noticed a folder was missing from one of the shoots on one of the drives. As we went to transfer the data over from the other 4TB drive (the two are mirrored), where the folder was full of 31GB worth of data, there was an error message after which the other folder that was full of data disappeared as well.

This is not my first rodeo and I have had corruption and lost data issues before so I made sure everything was double backed up and I took the drive that I had just witnessed to have a folder with 31GB full of data uptown to my guy who has easily fixed all my past problems. His first scan of my drive revealed 25 of the 47 files that were lost sitting where deleted footage remains on hard drives until it gets over-written. All of missing files were only revealed when we did an full scan of the drive which took four days and it seems that the rest of the files were corrupted, but are still on the drive. His repairs make some of the footage playable, so that I can see that they are the correct clips, but they are chopped up and jumpy and not useable in their current state.

A couple of questions -- Does anybody know where the absolute best and most legitimate place in NYC to take corrupted files is? I'm looking for a company that is the go-to for the television industry.

Secondly, just want to see if anyone else has had a similar issue before...the clips were spot checked in the field, so either this one card was missed on the spot check or the data became corrupt sitting on the drives -- they are stored in an office, in the original hard drive box. The drives are 4TB G-Raid's purchased from an extremely reliable vendor. Also, in the past when I have dealt with corrupt data the files just wouldn't play. In this instance, they completely disappeared from two drives. I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening before so just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar problem and what they did about it.

Thanks in advance!

Ray

Return to posts index

Ray Klonsky
Re: Corrupted EX-3 Data --- Any advice on who to see in NYC?
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:45:03 pm

Just want to say that if anyone has data corruption issues with XD CAM and other type files you should try these guys: http://aeroquartet.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]