FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a PMW-200 with SD01 Adaptor and SD cards - what the limitations?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harjite Dosanjh
Using a PMW-200 with SD01 Adaptor and SD cards - what the limitations?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:20:08 am

Hi guys,

So whats the deal here? You can buy an adaptor and use SD cards at a fraction of the cost to buying lots of SxS cards, where's the catch??!!

Im looking at buying a PMW-200 to shoot weddings on and to transfer media on the day to macbook is going to be pushed for time, so having enough cards is the only way. SxS card cost a fortune, so can I use an adaptor and record the entire event on SD cards?

Thanks for you time!

Harjit

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Using a PMW-200 with SD01 Adaptor and SD cards - what the limitations?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:48:00 pm

Yes, but you lose UDF mode (50 Mb 422) and related features

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
Re: Using a PMW-200 with SD01 Adaptor and SD cards - what the limitations?
on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:44:09 am

Buying a PMW-200 means using SxS cards. I think Sony was a little premature touting their SxS to SD adapter, and should wait until the SD card can keep up with ALL the formats. as the last post said, using the SD card takes away the main feature of buying a PMW-200 -- 50mb bit rate.

A pair of 32gb cards cost around $700 now (not quite a fortune, when you buy a $6300 camera), and they make a great investment for most applications. If you want to shoot weddings, add or rent a 64gb card, and those three cards should get you through. if you go longer than four hours, have a wrangler who can offload reception footage on a computer then change cards.

I'm not sure if the SD card can shoot slo-mo like an SxS card, so that's another possible reason to use SxS. some wedding moments, such as first dance, bouquet toss, and wedding recessional, look great in slo mo, so make sure SD can shoot that prior to opting for the adapter.

Last, SxS cards have legendary reliability.

TJ McCormick
Sony PMW-200 Owner-Operator
Live Event Video Engineer/Camera Operator/Tape Op, IATSE Local 720
Sony Vegas 12 User
Bluteeful Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]