FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for Michael Palmer concerning my Nanoflash and EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob O'Brien
Question for Michael Palmer concerning my Nanoflash and EX3
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:26:40 pm

Michael,

I address this question to you because you seem to be a strong supporter of your Nanoflash.

I bought one in December to use with my EX3. I have used it on a few shoots so far (inconjunction with the SxS cards as a back up). I am recording 100mbps Long GOP (1080-30P) from the HDSDI out.

I have to honest: I really cannot tell the difference in the footage. I hoped that there would be a noticable improvement. Sometimes when I split screen the footage I think the Nano is better; for other shots, sometimes I choose the 35mbps SxS shot.

While I'm sure it will be great for greenscreen footage, do you find this to be the case? I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Bob O'Brien
Video Design

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Question for Michael Palmer concerning my Nanoflash and EX3
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:06:52 pm

Bob,

I think you made a good investment with the Nano Flash. There is nothing wrong with the EX codec from your EX camera, but now you take control of that same encoder found inside your EX camera and you can now record broadcast quality video with 4:2:2 color space with your Nano.

I work in Los Angeles on all the major lots and I see how creative the sets are built to look like real buildings, but these only look good on film/video and can't withstand weather over time.

I just worked a job where the production had a Red Epix, a Sony F3 and a Canon 7D. The Red recorded 4k, the F3 recorded 10bit ProRezHQ and then the 7D recorded native Mpeg-4. The images from the 7D look amazing but the editor grimaces because he can't do much with this highly compressed file of the 7D.

Depending on the type of shooting you are doing you may never see a big difference between the two files you are recording. But you now have a solid broadcast quality video camera setup with a bullet proof external recorder that will service you well.

I also believe in redundant recording because mistakes happen. And you can choose the file wrapper to support the editing workflow with MXF or MOV.

If you are looking for comparison footage, go to Convergent_Design's website.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:17:05 pm

Understood.

Thanks, Michael.

CAMERAS
Sony EX3, Sony DSR570 DVCAM, DXC637/PVV3 Betacam-SP

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*8-Core Mac Pro, 6 Gb RAM, 2 internal eSata drives, FW800 externals
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:50:28 am

And also CF media cards are extremely affordable and reliable.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]