FORUMS: list search recent posts

pmw-200 workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TJ McCormick
pmw-200 workflow
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:14:32 am

i use the new sony pmw-200 camera, and i have some questions regarding workflow.

1) i tried to offload some UDF 422 footage directly to my macbook pro, running 10.7 os. i used the optional sbac-us10 sxs reader, and i started a file transfer.

instead of taking a few minutes, it took almost 3x the trt of the tapes to ingest.

i have just recently installed boot camp on my macbook, and i recopied the files using ms windows 7. it went MUCH faster.

so, i'd like to still shoot udf, but it seems like the macbook chokes on it. so i will in the future offload the files to pc (since i edit in Vegas Pro, anyway), and transcode files to prores 422 format when i give my footage off to FCP editors.

any other suggestions? i could shoot fat, and since that would be native for FCP editors, but i'd lose the 50mb bit rate.

http://www.vegasEVENTvideo.com

TJ McCormick
Z1U Owner-Operator
Steadicam Flyer Owner-Operator
Vegas Event Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: pmw-200 workflow
on Feb 11, 2013 at 7:04:08 pm

You should not be seeing any substantial difference in transfer speeds on the Mac. If anything, it should be a bit faster using an Apple HFS formatted drive. Make sure you have the latest UDF driver installed. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:26:24 pm

i'm pc now, but when i log into mac, i'll try that driver.

thx!

TJ McCormick
Sony PMW-200 Owner-Operator
Live Event Video Engineer/Camera Operator/Tape Op, IATSE Local 720
Sony Vegas 12 User
Bluteeful Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19:07 pm

Ian, I'm looking at the PMW-200 next week. Does the workflow have to differ in any way from that of my EX 1?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:05:26 pm

If you shoot in FAT (EX) mode, no. If you shoot in UDF (XDCAM) mode, not really. Keep in mind that the EX workflow was built on the MXF workflow for XDCAM which had been around for some time already. The tools and workflow are very similar. We still re-wrap to .mov for Final Cut Pro, we still use the Media Browser in Premiere and AMA in Avid Media Composer/Symphony. The only real difference is that in UDF mode you are shooting 50 Mbps HD422 with 8 channels of 24 bit audio. If you use any PDW/optical Disc XDCAM devices you can also freely move clips back and forth between SxS and ProDisc without transcoding or rewrapping.

One small thing to keep in mind-- You will need the UDF driver on your system for any UDF workflows. The SxS Device Driver is a traditional hardware driver and is only required when you read in cards from the E-card slot on a laptop. The UDF driver is a file system driver that is required when even when reading in cards over USB (because we are formatting SxS cards with an optical disc file system).

You will still use XDCAM Transfer (discontinued but still supported through Lion), XDCAM Browser/Content Browser etc.. The Log and Transfer plugin for FCP only supports FAT so if you use that you will need to move over to one of the Browser applications for FCP ingest. For FCP X we also have a plugin that works within the application and supports both UDF and FAT.

Enjoy..

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:05:04 pm

Thanks Ian although you give rather too much information for a simple soul like me. With my EX 1 material I just use XDCAM Transfer to take the media into Media 100 (why does everyone assume that we all edit in FCP?), as QT.mov in the ProRes 422 HQ codec. Even though the PMW-200 gives 50mbps as opposed to 35, judging by what you say I can carry on?

I presume I've been shooting in UDF mode although I didn't know, I have the camera set in the EX 1 as 'HQ 1080 50i'. Are you saying that this would not be the case with the PMW-200? If I continue with the EX 1 will the fact that this workflow is built on the (apparently) discontinued MXF system cause any problems in the future? I fancy not as both camera's media will be going to a .mov file. I transfer my media in the BPAV Folders direct from the camera to a laptop via the USB lead. I then of course back then up to other drives before ingesting into Media 100 with the Sony Transfer software.

Ian, I so admire what Sony is doing in this field - the EX cameras are magic. I attended a demo of the new Super 35mm cameras the other day at Pinewood Studios, not for the likes of me but so impressive, sadly, bye bye film!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:26:03 pm

A few things:

-XDCAM Transfer does not convert to ProRes. All it does is rewrap to .mov. Under no circumstances will it ever transcode to anything.

-EX1 does not offer UDF mode. UDF refers to the Optical Disc XDCAM formats which are recorded as .mxf files at higher data rates. The PMW-100, PMW-160, PMW-200 and PMW-500 can do both UDF and FAT (Fat = EX). You'll see a 'File System' option on the new camera-- change it to UDF to enable the 50 Mb 422 codec. You should definitely explore this; it's a huge part of what you are paying for on a PMW-200.

-You can continue with more or less the same workflow if you switch to UDF but in this case you will be copying a different kind of archive with multiple folders. You can also use Content Browser or XDCAM Browser to manage these backups (with verification....strongly recommended)

Hope this helps...

Cheers-

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:31:33 pm

ian, how do you re-wrap from .mxf to .mov? i'm using pavtube mxf converter for mac, but do you use something else?

TJ McCormick
Sony Vegas 12 User
Bluteeful Productions

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:42:32 pm

XDCAM Transfer or XDCAM Browser or Content Browser will rewrap to .mov. Note that they use codec resources provided by FCP so if FCP is not on the system you will not see any images (although with Transfer, for example, you will still be able to rewrap)

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Feb 12, 2013 at 7:28:30 pm

i don't have fcp, so i think i'll stay with my system. but thanks for the tip.

TJ McCormick
Sony Vegas 12 User
Bluteeful Productions

Return to posts index

Nel Shelby
on Feb 24, 2013 at 4:24:54 am

I am moving from using the EX1 to the PMW 200. Curious how you like the camera? Thanks!

Return to posts index

TJ McCormick
on Feb 24, 2013 at 7:33:25 am

now that i've done a few shoots, i'm getting to know my camera a little more. great audio (is it a preamp, or bit rate, not sure, but big improvement over my z1u), nice having iris/focus/zoom on lens, easy to get to white balance button.

i HIGHLY recommend the hoodman ex kit for any outdoor shooting. it's nice to use the lcd screen in direct sunlight, and the kit blocks out the sun and adds a loupe for better viewing.

i have a rail kit for using handles for the system, made by varizoom, but i want to add one more item: a shoulder mount. i use the varizoom EX zoom controller attached to my handle, and it works very nice.

the footage and workflow will definitely tax slower computers, so upgrade your computer to i7 asap. the 50mb footage is great, and edits nicely with sony vegas. i stay native throughout, until master, usually to Apple ProRes 422.

last, don't use 12db gain if you can avoid it. it's too grainy. stay with 9db or less.

so, would i recommend this camera? most definitely, but for my application (mostly eng style), it needs a few add-ons, mostly camera support, but in the end it's a great camera system.

TJ McCormick
Sony Vegas 12 User
Bluteeful Productions

Return to posts index

Robert Neustadt
on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:17:29 pm

Hey Ian,

Just starting a new TV series using the PMW-200 and AVID MC. What is the best way to screen and log footage? Prefer to do it from a PC before heading into edit. I also have a MACBOOK. AVID MC is on PC.

tnx

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:23:25 pm

Content Browser. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/campaign/contentbrowser

Log the clips in CB, use the 'Update' button in the metadata panel to write the meta back to the card, then AMA the clips in Media Composer..

Note that you need the following drivers:

For reading udf-formatted SxS cards on a laptop using express card slot: SxS Device Driver, SxS UDF driver

For reading udf-formatted cards via USB reader: SxS UDF Driver only

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

Return to posts index

Ryan Black
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:18:44 pm

So to clarify, can you shoot at the highest quality possible (UDF HDCAM 422) and use one of the Sony-supplied utilities to re-wrap the MXF files as MOV (without transcoding) so that they will work natively in FCP 7?

I've been using an EX1 for several years and love it, so upgrading to a PMW200 seems like a smart choice if it's compatible with FCP 7 at the highest quality settings. I don't mind re-wrapping, but I'm sick of transcoding.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:55:17 pm

yes, absolutely, you can use Content Browser or XDCAM Transfer to rewrap the files and they will remain in their native codec with no transcoding. FCP handles all of our codecs; the conversion is only required because FCP does not handle .mxf natively.

Return to posts index

Ryan Black
on Jun 21, 2013 at 7:20:31 pm

Awesome! Will the pmw200 record at the highest quality setting using SDXC cards with an adapter, or only with the official SxS cards?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:25:18 pm

UDF requires SxS or XQD media, not possible with SD or Memory Stick

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:25:54 am

Most of us found that we can’t import Sony PMW-200 MXF files smoothly. There always exist some Sony XDCAM HD422 MXF to Avid MC importing or editing issues. After widely searching and further test, I get know that XDCAM HD422 products record and play back high definition video with 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 resolutions using MPEG HD422 compression and the XDCAM HD422 video footage is wrapped in an MXF container, which is can not natively imported by many professional video editing application including the Avid Media Composer. So, it will be a bit hard when importing XDCAM HD422 video footage with Avid MC. While, things can be different if you get some help from third-party software.

Source from: http://lydia622520.tumblr.com/post/52194281497/import-50mbps-mxf-shot-on-so...

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:11:55 pm

XDCAM .mxf files have been natively supported in Media Composer for some time (going back as far as version 3 at least). They can be natively imported (file-->import) or they can be linked via AMA. Media Composer 6 has no issues with any flavor of XDCAM .mxf file. If you are having a specific issuer please let me know or else call it into support; I'm sure we can help resolve it.

Premiere Pro also accepts .mxf natively and has no issues with any XDCAM format. Likewise Edius, Vegas Pro, Resolve and most other editing and finishing applications have supported XDCAM .mxf files natively for years. The PMW200 is utilizing a file type and family of video formats that we have been recording to XDCAM optical discs for some time, so most of these issues were worked out years ago.

If you are having a specific issue please let us know. The article/ad you linked references an issue with files taking a long time to import-- this can easily be resolved by installing the SxS UDF driver. Without it the Mac OS does not address the file system correctly and long import times are to be expected.

Return to posts index

Greg Eaton
on Oct 10, 2013 at 4:28:06 pm

Hey Ian,

Is there a way to ingest PMW-200 footage into AVID MC without getting 4 empty audio tracks? Also is there a way to not record those empty tracks in production?

Thanks,
Greg

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 10, 2013 at 5:09:20 pm

no, the AMA plugin is going to link whatever channels there are and you can't reduce the # of channels being recorded. there are two workarounds if deleting the extra tracks in the timeline proves to be too much of a chore. you can disable the extra tracks in the source router or you can modify existing clips and 'hide' unused tracks.

To disable the tracks via the source router:

1. Load your desired clip into the source viewer.
2. Once loaded into the source viewer, you will see a certain number audio tracks appear in the timeline highlighted blue and labeled A1, A2, A3, etc.
3. Deselect the tracks you don't want by clicking on them, and they should become un-highlighted (by turning grey).
4. Then drag the clip from the source viewer to the timeline and you should see only the remaining tracks you have selected populate in the timeline.

If you don't want to load all of your clips into the source viewer prior to putting them into the timeline, here is another option:

1. Select all of the clips in your bin.
2. Hold CTRL > ALT > SHIFT (Windows), or CMD > OPTION > SHIFT (Mac) and then right click on the clips while they are selected.
3. Choose "Unlink."
4. Select all the clips again, then right click on them and choose "Modify."
5. From the pull down menu, choose "Set Tracks."
6. Deselect all the tracks you don't want and choose "OK."
7. Select all of the clips in the bin again.
8. Right click on them while they are selected and choose "relink."
9. Deselect the "Relink only to media from the current project" box.
10. In the "Video Parameters" section, under the "Relink to" pull down menu, choose "Any video format"
11. Click OK.
12. Now all of your clips will act as though they only have the tracks you left selected when you modified them. You can always repeat this process and add more tracks if you decide you want to use them again.

Return to posts index

Giok Giok
on Aug 15, 2014 at 4:51:48 pm

Can i take my footage directly from my pmw200 to my pc ,if so ? How?

Thx giok

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:21:02 pm

Yes, using a USB card reader such as the SBACUS20 (USB 3); the camera's USB 2.0 port; or the built-in express card slot on a computer.

If you are using UDF mode and something other than a built in express card slot for ingest you need only the SxS UDF driver.

If you are using UDF mode and an express card slot you need both the SxS UDF Driver and the SxS Device driver.

If you are using FAT mode mode and something other than a built in express card slot you do not need a driver.

If you are using FAT mode and an express card slot you need the SxS Device Driver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]