FORUMS: list search recent posts

SXS Cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Mims
SXS Cards
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:45:05 pm

I have two Sony SXS cards that came with my EX 3. I have shot footage on them, played them back in the camera and then attempted to upload them via Clip Browser. Clip browser and my computer does not show that the link even exist.
Is this a computer problem or a Clip browser problem, or both?
I have had them 4 years and they have never worked. Sony has been no help.
Any suggestions?

Mims

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: SXS Cards
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:17:44 pm

So you can play the footage on the camera?
If so the computer may not be recognizing the connection to the camera. try another cable/computer port or another computer.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:32:34 pm

You haven't provided enough information to make an educated guess as to what the problem might be.

• Computer platform?
  • Are you using USB to connect your camera to your computer?
  • Are you using the camera to transfer media or just the cards?
  • What is your operating system version?
  • What is your Clip Browser version?

There could be several contributing factors. You've had this issue for 4 years and it's still unsolved? That's a long time between buying your EX3 and then being able to use your camera the way it was intended.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16:48 pm

Yes, when I bought the camera I had the problem immediately so I purchased MxR Expresscard readers and started using 16GB SDHC cards. It has worked fine. (I am in the process of doing a project that needs to have the highest quality so I want to see how much better the SXS cards are over class 10 SDHC cards, before I move forward.)
I just tried using another computer to upload. Since I can record and then play back what was recorded on the camera. I know the Sony SXS card is recording. What Sony included in the camera package is a USB to a slot that one places the SXS card into in order to upload to a Clip Browser. Clearly this USB to SXS card is where the problem is. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have not tried transferring from the camera to the computer. I will try that, now. Don, I am going through your list and checking each one.
Don, Michael, Thanks.

Mims

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:42:56 pm

Don:
Here is the info on my system: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940@2.93Hz
12.0 GB
64-bit Operating System (Vista Business)
Three additional external hard drives adding up to another 3 TBs of data storage for video files.

Mims

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:11:54 pm

The camera to computer connection works via the camera's USB port. With the camera turned OFF connect it to your computer. Turn on the camera and in the viewfinder will be a message asking if you want to connect via USB. Choose YES and wait for the card icon to appear on your computer as an attached device, similar to a memory stick. If you have 2 cards active in the camera there will be 2 separate card icons available. If you don't see any card/USB icons then you're missing the Sony dsvice driver. If you do see the attached card icon(s) then start Clip Browser and navigate to your card icon from within the program to access your media.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:32:27 am

This might sound simple but have you installed the sony SxS drivers?
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-...

Mike Drew

Avid AE Shake Flame

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:33:46 am

Mike: Thanks for that suggestion. I did have the drivers installed, however the camera was not detecting the software. I reinstalled the drivers thanks to your link (Which I could not find on the Sony Support site)
For the first time in four years it is loading into Clip Browser via the USB directly from the camera. The only mystery yet to be solved is why the SXS cards will not load directly into the computer via the supplied USB/ SXS plug (slot for the SXS to slip into.)
Thanks to all of you. Perhaps this thread will help someone else as well.

Mims

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:21:16 am

When you say "the computer via the supplied USB/ SXS plug (slot for the SXS to slip into.)" are you talking about an express card slot in the computer or an external SXS card reader? If it the external reader is it the Sony one?
I think I know the answer to this but I want to confirm.

Mike

Mike Drew

Avid AE Shake Flame

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:16:41 am

Mike: A cable with a USB male at one end that plugs into my computer and at the other end is a black reader that you push the SXS card into in order to upload the SXS into the computer. (This is a tower computer that does not have the SXS slot built into the computer like the newer laptops.) And BTW I tried flipping the SXS in the reader end just in case I had it backwards. I took a flashlight and looked into the reader end and could tell which way would make the proper connections. In mho Sony should have some kind of a stop so the SXS will only insert one way, not either way.
When I posted this thread I also ask Sony the same questions, they have yet to get back to me. Creative Cow is a great help thanks to all of you who take the time to help a fellow filmmaker out.
As always it is appreciated, thanks Mike.

Mims

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:30:01 pm

William,you are getting the files from the camera on to your computer direct aren't you? I mean, using the supplied lead with the EX you go into a USB input, agree the connection when asked by the camera, and see the cards? Is this not sufficient for you or do you really have to read the cards without using the camera? It doesn't take long to download the cards thus freeing up the camera for more work, I often do this on location into a MacBook as an interim measure before putting them on other drives back at base.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:19:36 am

William, is the SXS reader a Sony or Sonnet unit?

Mike

Mike Drew

Avid AE Shake Flame

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:17:58 pm

It came in the box from Sony.

Mims

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:44:21 pm

I appreciate all of you whom I respect for your knowledge of this system and the reason I started this thread was to see the quality of the SxS vs. the MxR+SDHC cards, since I have not been able to use the Sony SxS card from day one. (I now have been able to do so)
I am in the process of beginning a feature using the EX 3. I can not really afford the cost of the external raw recorders. So I am looking for the best quality I can get without any more investment as the cost of good actors and crew will be as much as I can manage right now (and history has taught me a better place to spend the money).
So the real question becomes is the Sony SxS card any better quality than what I have gotten from the SDHC class 10 cards I presently use? Since your input from this thread, I have been able to do a side by side test using both media and I can not tell any difference. So any suggestions from Ian, Michael, Mike and anyone else on this subject will also be appreciated.
And let's just be realistic about filmmaking, if movies like Paranormal Activity can make a lot of money and still look like it was shot with a palmcorder, I think the quality of the EX 3 is light years ahead of that and an acceptable compromise of not using a F3 or 65.
If I may suggest a series that is shot beautifully with one of those cameras, it is Murdoch Mysteries, a Canadian series - Stream it on Netflix. Worth your time to view.

Mims

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:28:36 pm

William, as I'm sure the others will tell you, the image quality shouldn't differ at all, as your test indicates. The difference would be with regard to security. The reliability of the Pro S X S Sony cards is absolutely first rate. There have been horror stories concerning the use of some other cards, although I'm not clear which ones because I use only the Sony ones. My reasoning is that we spend a lot of time and trouble shooting decent pictures, not mentioning the kit itself, so why compromise on the media?

Others will support the use of cards other than the S X S and, it is true, there is quite a cost saving. As they say in England "You pays yer money and takes your choice".

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:42:47 pm

Thanks, Michael for your suggestion. I agree.

Mims

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 28, 2013 at 9:49:02 pm

[Michael Slowe] ""You pays yer money and takes your choice"."

Here in North America it's "You pays yer money you takes yer chances."

I also agree with your sage advice, Michael. I have never had an issue with Sony SxS Pro Memory cards.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]