FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX3 MP4 files no preview in Finder (MAC)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Akmal Dahlan
XDCAM EX3 MP4 files no preview in Finder (MAC)
on Jan 20, 2013 at 9:31:09 am

Hi Champs!

Recently I shot some footages on an XDCAM EX3. After transferring them in to my mac, I couldn't seem to preview the files in my finder, hence, making my editing time longer than normal. Usually i will just browse through my finder to select clips that i wanted to use. but now, with no preview(just a blank paper icon), it has made my life harder. Even hitting the spacebar for a quick preview wont play them.

My other alternative to play them is via VLC media player, but it still wastes time.

any ideas on how do I make the preview available in finder? Do i need some specific codec for it to show?

I am using Mac OSX 10.7
I have adobe premiere pro cs5 and after effects cs5 installed
I have VLC player installed

Thanks in Advance Champs! your help is much appreciated and will make up my editing time by a huge margin :)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XDCAM EX3 MP4 files no preview in Finder (MAC)
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:33:01 pm

[Akmal Dahlan] "any ideas on how do I make the preview available in finder? Do i need some specific codec for it to show?"

You need the Sony XDCAM EX codecs present and active on your system in order to view the raw files directly from the SxS card's BPAV folder. But even with the codecs you will not be able to preview the media at the finder level because the codecs aren't active. The XDCAM EX codec is activated only from within an NLE or other program such as XDCAM Clip Browser, Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool, or the new Sony Browser program that combines both the Sony Clip Browser and Transfer programs. Of course the various NLE's also support editing in the XDCAM EX format such as Premiere, FCP7 and X, Avid MC/Symphony etc. VLC Player is your best bet for previewing clips on any platform before working on them in an NLE.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Akmal Dahlan
on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:53:59 am

thanks for the reply! :)

Oh myy, it looks like there is no way to preview in finder. hmm its ok, will have to preview them in vlc player. :)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:32:09 am

VLC Player doesn't use a lot of storage space at 77 Mbytes. The nice thing about this is that if you need to give a client XDCAM EX media on something like a memory stick you can also include a copy of the program to be sure your client has a convenient way of viewing the shots. Obviously the version of VLC Player you include will be dependent upon the platform the client has, or you can always include both versions to be sure.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]