FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX footage - Horizontal Lines

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D j Harris
Sony EX footage - Horizontal Lines
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:01:02 pm

Hi all,

Researching a problem for a colleague here - we're having a lot of trouble with footage from a Sony PMW320 looking distorted (pic attached). At first I thought it was an interlace problem but now I'm not so sure. The problem seems intermittent, and only seems to be on the horizontal - vertical straight lines seem ok.

The footage was shot standard def and the Sony records into AVI at this resolution. The problem looks like it's within the camera as the raw footage has this effect when viewed in the Sony clip browser, but running it through Avid and then onto DVD makes it even worse.

When it was first shown to me I re-ingested the footage, just in case something had been done incorrectly but it didn't help. I've also applied a field remove within Avid (helps slightly - I think just because it's taking away half the problem) and used a deinterlace filter in Sorenson (also helps slightly) but not good enough. This screen grab is from a PC monitor too, again suggesting it isn't an field order issue.

So 2 questions: anyone any ideas on how to fix/improve this? And anyone any idea what the problem could be?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Sony EX footage - Horizontal Lines
on Jan 16, 2013 at 12:49:08 pm

Does it only occur with the blue LED lights..? these lights are notorious for causing optical problems..
and there seems to be nothing you can do about it..

If its there all the time then maybe a camera /lens fault..

Return to posts index

Jim Vlies
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:30:30 am

sorry not much help here, but indeed it looks like an interlace problem or some kind of uprezzing. I have had some problems with digital artifacts when something was too saturated but i don't think thats the problem here.

If this is a computer screen dump, i would suggest it is interlaced. Have you played the dvd on a dvd player and does this also happen?

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 19, 2013 at 7:30:05 am

Is it only the blue lights..? they are a well known problem for video..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]